Edson pedestal wire/chain replacement - thoughts

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
boatsnh
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: IRIS
Boat Type: Dickerson 36 Ketch

Edson pedestal wire/chain replacement - thoughts

Post by boatsnh »

I'm in the process of gearing up for a spring installation of a below deck autopilot on our Dickerson 36 - The existing rudder post has no top bearing - no real lateral support up near the quadrant, so...I'm going to install a top plate & bearing to take any lateral load the pilot ram might develop. If I plan it all out correctly I can use part of this as a shelf to mount the ram....So I'll be spending time under the cockpit floor for a while.......

The question I have is....While "down under" doing all this work does it make sense to replace the Edson chain & Wire that "steers" the boat? It's all orig. for 1973 - Edson indicates replacement every 5 (yep, five) years for wire & chain. I'm assuming that's for the "go fast' boats out there........Anyone ever replace Chain & Wire as a pre-emptive maint. item?? Or do folks replace when the wire gets "fuzzy" & the chain is rusted thru?? Cable clamps are junk and need replacement in any event.....This is a pretty "low stress" steering system with a 24 in classic wood Edson Wheel and a fairly good size quadrant. Helm forces are not extreme.
Thoughts are appreciated.
mitiempo
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Mi Tiempo
Boat Type: Canadian Sailcraft CS27

Re: Edson pedestal wire/chain replacement - thoughts

Post by mitiempo »

I don't think I would view regular replacement as just for "go fast" boats, but a reliability issue. Losing steering is bad on any boat. But every 5 years does sound a bit excessive.

If it is original and parts are rusted I would replace it and you would be good for a long time.
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Case »

Probably time to replace the wire/chain by this time.

Just to point this out, the "go fast" sailboats do not necessarily have higher loads on the rudders. Its more about design, actually. I have seen videos of T-52s broad reaching at 15-20 knots and the tiller (some do have them, even for a 52 footer) was almost perfectly on center. Helmsman was not straining to steer the boat... The particular video I remember had that tiller steered T-52 suddenly pulling away from the motorboat who was chasing it. It was close to 20 knots I think. Very memorable and the dead on center tiller made it more awe-inspiring.

- Case
boatsnh
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: IRIS
Boat Type: Dickerson 36 Ketch

Post by boatsnh »

Kinda' a moot point at this time....Went up to look yesterday & the wire near the quadrant had a few "fishhooks"...So new wire it is.....
Mike