Securing Bungs

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Securing Bungs

Post by Hirilondë »

It seems several people are installing woodwork to the exterior of their boats this winter/spring. This got me to thinking about another process that many people make serious mistakes doing. This is the installing and securing of bungs over fasteners. Rather than just giving you the answer to how I do it I would like everyone to consider the situation. There are 2 major considerations for this process. The first is to seal the bung into the piece such as to avoid moisture getting in and blistering the varnish around the bung. The second is the often forgotten situation where virtually everything on a boat will some day need to be removed. So what material can be used that seal the bung, but do not make it (the bung) impossible to remove without damaging the piece installed? Oh, and since most woodwork is varnished, it should be clear and definitely contain absolutely 0% silicone.

Actually, there are 2 materials that I use, and there may be more that are acceptable.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Triton 53
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Alli-Ann
Boat Type: Triton

Re: Securing Bungs

Post by Triton 53 »

Actually, there are 2 materials that I use, and there may be more that are acceptable
ok, I'll bite.

Pete
"Alli-Ann" Triton #53
Edgewood Yacht Club

Basic research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.
Wernher von Braun
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

I'm planning on using varnish, unless you say different
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Hirilondë wrote:... the often forgotten situation where virtually everything on a boat will some day need to be removed.
Such a short, simple sentence at the root of so much frustrating, knuckle-busting, various-plot-inducing, tool-buying, un-necessary (if only this concept had been followed) work on boats!
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane

Post by Hirilondë »

Duncan wrote:I'm planning on using varnish, unless you say different
Either that or shellac, both work great. You might even want to let some thicken up a little so that it isn't so runny. Or even better, use the left overs from an old job. I like shellac for interior work as it cleans up with alcohol which is just more forgiving to have and use inside. For exterior the varnish is probably better.

If the bung fits well (snug) then adhesion is not an issue, merely sealing the joint. And now you can dig the bung out with a small screw driver when the time comes that you (whoever) needs to some day.
Dave Finnegan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Post by Skipper599 »

"And now you can dig the bung out with a small screw driver when the time comes"

Ah, yes. The screwdriver! Better known as the 'Do-all' tool - - - Frequently used for just about any purpose except driving screws. - - - Certainly the most abused tool in the tool box.
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane

Post by Hirilondë »

Skipper599 wrote: Ah, yes. The screwdriver! Better known as the 'Do-all' tool - - - Frequently used for just about any purpose except driving screws. - - - Certainly the most abused tool in the tool box.
In my case I have made a special tool for removing bungs out of a piece of tool steel with a teak handle. Most people however don't have one of these. Besides, no one uses slotted screws any more anyway. ;>)

Dave Finnegan
jlroberts280
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by jlroberts280 »

I've had good luck removing bungs by driving in a self taping screw (by hand) in the center of the bung. The new screw only goes in as far as it takes to hit the old screw, stops advancing, and lifts the bung right out. Often it pops out in one piece. Quick and easy.
Jon Roberts
Spirit '83 Ericson 35-III
Former owner of VSOP '69 Pearson Coaster #115
South Portland, ME
ILikeRust
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Grizabella
Boat Type: Pearson Wanderer 30

Post by ILikeRust »

I would use the same varnish I was using to varnish whatever it is I was varnishing.

As for removing them, I find a sheetrock or deck screw driven right into the middle of the bung works great to tear out the old one - assuming nobody put it in with some amazing, super-dooper techno gloop that holds with the power of the gravitational field of a neutron star.
Bill T.
Richmond, VA

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible." - T E Lawrence