Measuring my Prop for a new shaft.

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Idon84
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Cosmic Dancer
Boat Type: Hess Cutter

Measuring my Prop for a new shaft.

Post by Idon84 »

Now that I have my stern tube removed I'm off to trying to figure out my prop dimensions for fitting a new shaft. I measured everything in standard but after looking at the weird numbers I was getting I went back and measured to metric to come up with better numbers. The only problem is that the prop doesn't fit any "standard" dimensions.

I phoned Norm at West by North Enterprises http://www.westbynorth.com to ask questions about my Campbell Sailor 3 blade prop. Norm too seems to think I have some odd ball propeller. For instance the standard keyway for a 25mm/1" shaft is either 1/4" or 6MM. My prop has an 8MM keyway. Bore taper is also way different. When I take measurements to figure out what my bore taper is I get 13.16 standard or 9.29 metric both of which are not standard tapers.

Any thoughts on this? I know that some props can be odd balls but what does that mean in the way of repairability, future repairs, loosing a prop and having to get another easily etc? I'm replacing the whole prop shaft, stern tube, couplers etc. I was going to try to use my current Campbell Sailor but at this point that is up in the air. Norm has some good standard propellers for my boat at 15% off. Sniff Sniff, what's that smell? Smells like dollar bills going up in flames.

Current Prop measurements.
-Bore Large End: 24MM
-Bore Small End: 17MM
-Bore Lenght: 65MM
-Keyway width: 8MM
Shaft Measurements
-Keyway Length on prop shaft: 55MM
-Shaft Diameter: 25MM
-Shaft Threads: 25MM long
-Prop Projection (distance prop overhands shaft threads): 10MM

Thanks for you opinions!
Bryon
Cosmic Dancer
1980, Hess Cutter.
http://www.picasaweb.com/idon84
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Re: Measuring my Prop for a new shaft.

Post by Skipper599 »

Hey Bryon, when did you have the "Campbell Sailer" made for you?
I too have one, it was made back in late 80's or early 90's It's all standard sizing eg: 1/4" keyway etc.
Is it possible it might have been "modifed" ?
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

My opinion is that it's convenient to have standard tapers, key sizes, etc. on your prop and shafting. It can be hard enough getting what you need sometimes even without the added hassle of non-standard (or at least unconventional) measurements.

I'd not waste time with non-standard items myself, as it sounds like an ongoing headache in the making.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Idon84
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Cosmic Dancer
Boat Type: Hess Cutter

Post by Idon84 »

The prop was on the boat when I bought it so i don't have much info.

After a long night of thinking, don't want the headache of having to deal with a non-standard ANYTHING on my boat so I guess I will replace.

Norm did mention that with the dimensions I gave him I could easily modify my current prop for emergency purposes etc. on a standard shaft. I just need to get a bigger key and file it down to fit the shaft for future emergency use only.

Time to spend more money!
Bryon
Cosmic Dancer
1980, Hess Cutter.
http://www.picasaweb.com/idon84