sail cloth weight and reefs

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
ghostwriter247
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: The Celtic Cross
Boat Type: 67 bristol 27

sail cloth weight and reefs

Post by ghostwriter247 »

Since sailing season is approaching its time to figure out what i want on my new main.

Im debating between two reefs or three and 6.4 vs 7.4 oz cloth weight.

How fast would the windspeed be to need for the first, second, and third reef? Im assuming the tritons perform similar to my bristol 27.

This season im sticking around a small lake, but im hoping ot move up to great lakes and do some sailing around chicago and maybe the apostles next year and was wondering is 7.4 oz and a third reef gonna be overkill? The sail out ot the apostles is 30 to 50 miles depending on where you go.

Would you make the crossing to the bahamas without the third reef on a 6.4 oz main?

thanks guys.

josh
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: sail cloth weight and reefs

Post by Tim »

ghostwriter247 wrote:Would you make the crossing to the bahamas without the third reef on a 6.4 oz main?
Yes, without a moment's thought.

Buy the sail you need now. A "normal" sail will take you wherever you want to go now and in the future.

Over-equipping for "maybe someday" is an affliction that only wastes money now and leaves one with things that are ill-suited to what one is actually doing.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
ghostwriter247
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: The Celtic Cross
Boat Type: 67 bristol 27

thanks

Post by ghostwriter247 »

thanks tim, that answers my question.

Im also ordering a strong mast track and like your triton my slot entrance for the main is well above the gooseneck. If i make them aware of that will they include the lower extension so i don't run into reefing problems or is that always an extra part?
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: sail cloth weight and reefs

Post by Tim »

No: instead of just measuring the existing track itself when it's time to order, determine how long you need your Strong track to be to extend far enough, and use that measurement for your order (i.e. the length of your existing track plus whatever you need to extend the new track closer to the gooseneck). That way, your new track will be one piece of the correct length.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating