Nav Light on Pulpit Question

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
bigd14
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Ericson 27

Nav Light on Pulpit Question

Post by bigd14 »

I am relocating the bow lights to the pulpit and am wondering about how to seal the holes I will have to drill (or, figure out a way to make sure it all drains out somehow). The wires will enter at the top and exit on the aft stanchion base on the port side. If any water gets in it will travel down the wires, and into the boat (ok) but some will inevitably travel down the other side and get trapped. I have a few thoughts but figured I would solicit some opinions from people who have done this. Or haven't but might have some good ideas.

Here are some shots of the setup.

Thanks!

Doug
Doug
1972 Ericson 27
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Nav Light on Pulpit Question

Post by Rachel »

I ran a light like that on my Monty 17. Like you probably have, I drilled a hole in the center of one of the pulpit legs for bringing the wire into the boat. On the light end, one thing I did differently was I had the light hanging down, "Inside" the pulpit. So the hole was on the underside of the tubing. I felt like that would be preferable and make it less vulnerable to snags, plus the hole is facing down then.

If I remember correctly, I sealed both ends with caulking -- probably polyurethane. One difference is that I had a preformed plastic "pod" for the bow light, so I think the hole was a bit more protected from spray. It was a housing made by Aqua Signal, I think.

Edited to add: It looked something like this one from Aqua Signal on the right side of the photo - in fact it may have been this exact one. Their regular bi-color lens mounts on the flat area.

So, caulk to seal, light and hole facing downward were my choices. I did not have the boat for long enough to see how it fared a decade later.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

New pulpits usually have a little rubber grommet to (sort of) seal off and protect the hole through which the lighting wires pass.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a photo that illustrates this right now, but I've never done anything to supplement this little grommet as it seems to work as well as anything.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Oh that sounds like a good way. I think if I were doing that job again now, after reading this, I would look for a grommet from McMaster-Carr or someplace similar.
bigd14
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Ericson 27

Post by bigd14 »

OK, looks like I will be on a grommet quest! I have also decided to mount the nav light below the pulpit. I'll have our local metalworker fab something up. Pictures when done! Thanks for the help.

Doug
Doug
1972 Ericson 27
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

Doug,

On my previous boat I used grommets as previously suggested. If I rewmember correctly I sourced them at Radio Shack. Good luck!
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
onymous
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: LemmaLemma
Boat Type: Ericson 25

Post by onymous »

If you watch this video, http://www.directindustry.com/prod/tapp ... 77497.html, it may lead you to a suitable grommet for your application.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Why not take that thing to a shop and weld a nice, neat bracket onto the tube? You might arrange to mount the light under the tube so that it will not instantly snag any line that passes by. You might even arrange the bracket so that the light is not the first thing to arrive at a piling. A gob of sealant around the wire would work better than the grommet. You could exit the wire similarly above the base. You could drill drain holes in the side of the tube above the base.

Our two running lights are mounted to plates welded at the juncture of the top and down tube. Neat, removable. Wires are passed into the down tube.