LED INTERIOR LIGHTING

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
jerseyman26
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: LIfe's An Adventure
Boat Type: 1990 Pearson 38'

LED INTERIOR LIGHTING

Post by jerseyman26 »

My last post regarded AGM batteries but this post is about LED lighting. I want to replace the current interior lights which are original, with LED lights. Has anyone done this project on their boat? If so can you lend some hints such as what lights you used or any obstacles you came across?
Bikermouse
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Siyrah
Boat Type: Cal-20

Re: LED INTERIOR LIGHTING

Post by Bikermouse »

I'm planing on doing this project on my Cal, but it'll obviously be a smaller issue. One thing I've noticed on bikes (a lot of sportbikes have been goin to aftermarket LED turn signals & tail lights) is that many people don't realize that, unlike an incandescent, the LED actually cares which end is positive and which is negative.

If the wiring was properly color-coded to begin with, no problem. If it was wired with zip-wire from an old extension cord, though, you may have to put a meter to it to determine which wire is hot.
captphil416
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Deep Blue
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by captphil416 »

I made this conversion several years ago. LEDS worked great as reading lamps, and I needed to do nothing more than buy the bulbs. For area lighting LEDS, proved less successful. In the end I ripped out my LEDs for floresant. The power draw was very close. While voyaging area lighting is used seldom, and while at the dock you are plugged in. I also keep a red LED shined at the overhead for a nightlight, that sure helps at night without destroying night vision. Lots of luck Phil
Chesapeake Bob
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Aloha Spirit
Boat Type: Cape Dory 30

Post by Chesapeake Bob »

I have found that Imtra Brand Products are of excellent quality, vs. some others that I tried. Good customer service too.

F/W
Bob O.
jerseyman26
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: LIfe's An Adventure
Boat Type: 1990 Pearson 38'

Post by jerseyman26 »

Thank you all for your valuable input. I had looked at the imtra line a year ago but not knowing one brand from another it looked like just another brand.
captphil416
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: Deep Blue
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by captphil416 »

Jerseyman26; My reading lights were in fine condition and used double contact bayonet bulbs. I purchased LED replacements from Defender. This has been a great success. For area lighting I purchased 4 amber LED truck markers from Jc whitney. Each contained 56 LEDs and the total draw was about 1 amp with a rather poor result. The floresents draw the same and provide far more light. The LED strips are now employed as cockpit locker lights with total success. Good Luck Phil
Maine Sail
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Maine Sail »

I did some exhaustive research into this about two years ago and wound up at Sensibulbs. While expensive you tend to get what you pay for. I needed lights that hit the WAF (wife acceptance factor). Since then some strides have been made and they are getting better and better every month it seems. Last July I was hit by lightning and the first expenditure was to replace all 16 Sensibulbs with new Sensibulbs. Even as of last July I could not find a bulb as bright, as wide, as warm and with less radio interference. Imtra has also made some decent strides..

One of the best compliments I got was a very knowledgeable sailor I ran into who rowed over for drinks. While sitting down below at about 11:00 pm we had about 6 lights on. He said; "Jeez you really need to invest in LED's you guys use a ton of lights."... When I told him they were LED his jaw nearly hit the floor. His boat looked like the Spencer gifts black light section. He actually wanted me to unscrew the dome covers for me to prove it but I just pulled one out of a reading light. The next week he too had Sensibulbs..
-Maine Sail

Canadian Sailcraft 36T
Casco Bay, ME
http://www.marinehowto.com
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

http://milo.com/alpena-flexled-24-inch-wht-77423

About 3/8 wide, waterproof with 3m tape on the back.

Advanced auto has these and if you buy them in the 36 inch lengths you can cut them into 3 inch strips and solder leads on them.

I haven't tried them yet but am going to!

Light does seem to be very white/blue so not a day to day light but certainly a good task light or cubby light.
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
okawbow
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Thursdays' Child
Boat Type: Privateer 26 Schooner

Post by okawbow »

I keep a few of these- http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fulcrum-Light ... k/15048685 in dark places like the forepeak, head, and engine compartment. They can also be used in the event of electrical failure for the main cabin. They last a long time before battery replacement.
Chuck
1976 Bristol 24
"Harmony"