More headroom?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
moose
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Persephone / Running on Empty
Boat Type: Bristol 27 / Helsen 22

More headroom?

Post by moose »

So i getting into rebuilding my B27 (gutted it due to rot, etc.), and before I go too far, I had an idea I wanted to get a second opinion on...

I'm 6'2" (or I was when I was a teenager), but the B27 isn't. what do you think about raising the roof of the doghouse by 4" or so? The wife thinks I'm crazy, but then she thinks the whole project is crazy...

Thanks,

Jason
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: More headroom?

Post by Rachel »

Hi Jason, and welcome to the forum :)

I like to think outside the box, but that is one idea I would probably give a thumbs down. Main reasons:

1) Major, major, MAJOR project.

2) B-27 already has a doghouse height that reads "tall."

I have seen people drop the sole slightly on similar boats, so that is something you might consider. It will get a bit narrower, and it's not going to give you a foot or anything like that, but maybe an inch or two.

Beyond that I would go for a different boat. Especially considering that, at the gutted (or needs to be gutted) stage you would have a fair selection of older plastic classics that could be bought for a fraction of the overall price (time/$$) of what you will be spending on your rebuild with any of them.

Rachel
Paulus
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Guillemot
Boat Type: Mariner Ketch

Post by Paulus »

Could be an interesting project... if you have the skills, I'd say go for it and make sure to report here and post pictures!!
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Thinking about it some more, maybe I was too "harsh"? I still would never raise the whole cabin top on a B-27, but maybe there is a way you could make a center "hump" or channel to get a bit more headroom. The west coast Tritons have something like that (not sure it gives 4" though), and the C-dory 16 has a similar idea. I think the Pardey's Seraffyn might have had something similar in concept.

Still a big project that involves "hull" integrity, but potentially doable.

Rachel
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

moose wrote: what do you think about raising the roof of the doghouse by 4" or so?
At the risk of being overly blunt: eeeeeew!
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Rachel is ever tactful and Tim gets right to the point. I will just say that I agree, it is a bad idea IMO.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.