Paint underneath the galley

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
JohnD
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: undecided
Boat Type: Pearson Triton EC #234

Paint underneath the galley

Post by JohnD »

Hey all, another question for you. Today I pulled out the galley on my Triton, did a lot of cleaning and sanding, and then primed the area underneath and all of the inside of the galley "box". My question is, should I use a hard paint like bilgekote for this area or can I get by with just regular marine paint? I don't see it having anything being banged around down there seeing as 1/2 of it is drawers, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Re: Paint underneath the galley

Post by earlylight »

JohnD,

My 1982 Sabre 34 had all of the stowage lockers etc. painted with Bikini Blue Petit EasyPoxy at the factory when built. When I purchased her she was 19 years old and some of the paint was getting a bit shabby so I just gave all the lockers a good scrubbing, light sanding and then applied a fresh coat of EasyPoxy. EasyPoxy is available in a number of colors. This brightened up the inside of the lockers and provided a nice smooth finish which is very easy to clean. I even did the engine compartment which was a bit tedious, but what a difference in the amount of effort to keep it clean. I also added inexpensive stick-up LED lights that you turn on and off by touching the lens (from Home Depot) inside most of the lockers. These are powered by AA batteries that last a long time with the minimal current drain of LEDs. Hope this helps.

Under head sink after painting

Engine compartment after painting
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
mitiempo
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Mi Tiempo
Boat Type: Canadian Sailcraft CS27

Re: Paint underneath the galley

Post by mitiempo »

I use Interlux Brightside white inside lockers. Has been durable and easy to clean over the years. Covers well and I have never found the need for a primer on good surfaces.