Sikaflex 291 Minimum Temperature

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
jhenson
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Sikaflex 291 Minimum Temperature

Post by jhenson »

I’m looking for a sealant I can use in fairly cold temperature to re-apply some hatches and companionway trim. The temperatures here have been in the 50’s during the day and the 30’s at night. The TDS for Sikaflex 291 says that the minimum application temperature is 50 degrees, and for Sikaflex 291 Fast Cure the minimum is 40 degrees. Both require several days to cure. Does this imply that the minimum temperature must be sustained during the entire curing cycle, or will the colder night time temperatures simply extend the cure time with the curing process resuming during the day?

Joe
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Re: Sikaflex 291 Minimum Temperature

Post by Figment »

I've always worked on the priniciple that application is application, the minimum temperature is about letting the chemicals flow into pores or otherwise bond with substrates. I'd want to maintain that 50+ degrees for a couple of hours before and after the application, but otherwise I think you're fine.

Isn't there an 800-number on the tube? ;)
jhenson

Post by jhenson »

I have put in an inquiry with Sika Tech Support, but have not heard back from them yet.

Joe
mitiempo
Boat Name: Mi Tiempo
Boat Type: Canadian Sailcraft CS27

Post by mitiempo »

Or use butyl which isn't temp sensitive as it doesn't cure. I am replacing my forward hatch because it is old and falling apart. It was sealed to the deck with butyl 33 years ago, never leaked and was still flexible. As is the butyl in my hull/deck joint.