The right goop?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
keelbolts
Skilled Systems Installer

The right goop?

Post by keelbolts »

I need to run a bead of some kind of goop down a seam where two fiberglass panels meet on a cabin top. What's the best stuff for the job?

Thanks.
Celerity - 1970 Morgan 30

How much deeper would the ocean be without sponges in it?
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: The right goop?

Post by Rachel »

Can you explain more about the seam and the panels?

What are the panels a part of; why do they have a seam; how wide is it, what's behind them? When you say cabin top, I presume it's outside vs. the overhead (?) etc.

Thanks,
Rachel
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Classic Plastic Forum wrote:Questions and Answers

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Rachel wrote:Can you explain more about the seam and the panels?

What are the panels a part of; why do they have a seam; how wide is it, what's behind them? When you say cabin top, I presume it's outside vs. the overhead (?) etc.

Thanks,
Rachel
Ummm, Rachel, the description says he will get answers, not more questions ;-)

Actually, Rachel's questions do need answering before any worth while advice can be given.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
triton318
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Dove
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by triton318 »

Peanut butter. No wait...something else maybe with the consistency of peanut butter. Or is it mayonnaise?
Jay
Dove, Pearson Triton #318
Hayes, VA
s/v Faith
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: s/v 'Faith'
Boat Type: 1964 Pearson Ariel (#226)

Post by s/v Faith »

triton318 wrote:Peanut butter. No wait...something else maybe with the consistency of peanut butter. Or is it mayonnaise?
For the Love of all that is good and right with the world not silicone!

.... or miracle whip!
1964 Pearson Ariel #226
'Faith' (the Triton's little sister)

Referred by;

www.sailfar.net

and

www.pearsonariel.org
keelbolts

Post by keelbolts »

Sorry I wasn't a bit more focused in my question. The boat is a Hunter 30 something. It has a separately molded, screwed on fiberglass panel about 4' wide & 6' long that comprises most of the cabin top. It contains the sliding hatch for the companionway, the mainsheet traveller, and a bunch of other stuff. The gelcoat was lifting in quarter sized, and larger, flakes all around the edge of the panel. The owner is trying to sell the boat and his broker insisted he get the problem fixed. Removal of the panel would have been prohibitively expensive so I repaired it in place. I'm almost done with the gelcoat repairs, but I'm left with gap that's 1/8" at the bottom and rounds to 1/4" at the deck. I suspect it wasn't filled at the factory, but it was when I began the repair so I will have to replace it.

... but with what?

mitiempo
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Mi Tiempo
Boat Type: Canadian Sailcraft CS27

Post by mitiempo »

I'd remove it and do it properly. Ideally it should be a tight fit to the cabintop before sealant is used. A gap that large will be near impossible to seal long term and certainly not without removing it first. As for sealant butyl would be a good choice.
Capn_Tom
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by Capn_Tom »

Picture?
The board does not cut itself short!
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane

Post by Hirilondë »

It sounds like you are referring to a sea hood. It is fastened down over where the companionway slider slides to when open and covers just the forward edge of it when closed? If so, then it should be removed and rebedded to do it well. To get a good seal and a clean look at the seem I would use Sikaflex 291-LOT white.
Dave Finnegan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
keelbolts

Post by keelbolts »

When I heard of the problem, I pictured a sea hood. I have one on Favona and it didn't sound like a big deal, but the panel I'm referring to makes up, probably, 75% of the cabin top. In order to remove it, I would have to remove, among other things, the slider assembly, the main sheet traveler, and the vinyl overhead down below. It's just more time & money than the owner is interested in spending on a boat he's trying to sell. To be honest about it, I wouldn't pull the panel if it was my boat - just too much work & too many chances to create collateral damage. Think repair rather than restoration.

Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane

Post by Hirilondë »

The cabin top is not one piece but has a mechanically fastened section?
Dave Finnegan
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Okay, we need either another 827 words or 1 photo ;)
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

If it is anything like the Hunter that was at our marina, it is a huge molded glass sea hood incorporating pathways for all the lines that run aft to the cockpit on either side of the companionway sliding hatch. If this is the case it is screwed down to the top of the coach roof and has some kind of caulk or bedding compound filling the rather large and uneven gap. Only Hunter would build a sea hood in this manner. If this is what you are talking about, the only real fix is to remove it entirely and rebed it. No quick fix I'm sorry to say.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
keelbolts

Post by keelbolts »

It is as earlylight describes it. I will try to get a photo up for all to see. Rachel, I'll have to get better about posting photos. I've had mixed luck, over the years, doing it, but I come here looking for photos & if I don't put some up, it could be said that I'm not pulling my weight. I'll try to do better.

As far as rebedding the panel goes, it's not leaking it just looks unfinished to me - to have a gap running around the cabin top. Caulking the gap is more about appearance than function. I believe I'm going w/ Sikaflex 261. It sounds like it will stay put & resist yellowing as good as any of the alternatives.

Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane

Post by Hirilondë »

keelbolts wrote: I believe I'm going w/ Sikaflex 261. It sounds like it will stay put & resist yellowing as good as any of the alternatives.
I think you mean 291. I comes in 2 versions: 291 and 291-LOT. The LOT (long open time) has a much slower initial skinning over. This gives you more time, especially in warm weather to clean up. I find this extra time very helpful.
Dave Finnegan