Aluminum Tracks

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
keelbolts
Skilled Systems Installer

Aluminum Tracks

Post by keelbolts »

My son has acquired an old Albin Scampi that he is in the process of bringing back. I have a quick question. I'd like to take some fine sandpaper and clean up her aluminum tracks as I might with the bronze tracks on my boat. Question: are aluminum tracks anodized? They don't appear to be, but, if they are, stripping the anodizing could allow them to corrode.
Celerity - 1970 Morgan 30

How much deeper would the ocean be without sponges in it?
keelbolts

Re: Aluminum Tracks

Post by keelbolts »

Alright. 28 people have viewed my question, but nobody's answered.

Is the question
1) too hard?
2) too dumb?
3) in the wrong place?

Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Well, speaking for myself, I just don't know. I have this idea that most (all?) aluminum tracks are anodized, yet you say it does not look like it is, and... I can't see it. I'm assuming sail sheeting track, but don't know for sure from the description.

Other than that, I'm on it ;)
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

I would think it is anodized. And if so, then sanding is not a good thing. If it isn't, then sanding will clean it up, but it won't last long before pitting and such appears.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I don't know if your tracks are anodized or not. Brand-new aluminum T- tracks are anodized, either black or clear, but that doesn't mean yours are or aren't. As always, a picture is worth 1000 words. Speaking in generalities in response to a specific question is relatively worthless.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

You could just alodine them when you are done sanding. Alodine is the low brow chemical version of anodizing. In either method the only purpose is to create a thin layer of corrosion on the surface that will protect the metal beneath.

Or just use a good primer and paint the tracks when you are done sanding.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
mitiempo
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Mi Tiempo
Boat Type: Canadian Sailcraft CS27

Post by mitiempo »

I would bet they were originally anodized, otherwise there would be a lot of corrosion after all these years.
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Post by Skipper599 »

bcooke said ... "Or just use a good primer and paint the tracks when you are done sanding."

I hasten to say, not any old primer because ... If they're aluminum, and the anodising has been removed, they should be cleaned and painted with Chromate primer. This will etch itself onto the surface to make a permanent base for a finish coat ... I would suggest you Google "Painting Aluminum" and you'll learn more about refinishing aluminum than you ever thought you needed to know. (It's NOT as simple as one would think) ... How do I know? Simply because, I've recently been reading up on it myself.

I'm about to purchase some chromate paint for a pair of new, bare aluminum spreaders ... Once they're primed, I will probably paint them either "Off White" or "Bone" color. I really wanted them anodised however, the cost to do so at the local plating shop is prohibitive. Further, I'm now considering doing the mast and boom too. I'd love to have it all done professionally but, the costs are getting higher than I'm willing to pay therefore, I shall attempt to educate myself on the internet and take it from there.
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Yes, definitely not any primer. I am not sure what would be considered 'best' but it probably needs to be considered as a companion to the final paint. I think the chromates are on the way to becoming a bit old fashioned but they have certainly been the primer of choice for aluminum in the past and probably do the same decent job today that they have always done.

Personally, I would skip Google because there is far more bad information than good on the Internet. An automotive paint store or some other profesional retailer could probably steer you towards the latest and greatest.

The alodine chemicals are available at the auto paint stores too. You might be able to ask around for a shop that can anodize if you are feeling really ambitious.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
keelbolts

Post by keelbolts »

Thanks for the replies. I will leave the tracks alone, for right now, and get a photo up when it stops raining here at the end of the week.

Again, I am convinced that this is the best forum, on any subject, on the web. I am or have been a member of numerous forums on boats, cars, motorcycles, guitars, amplifiers, diesel engines, guns... None have had the quantity, quality, civility, or activity of this forum. Thanks to all you forumites and, most of all, thanks Tim for starting & maintaining the site.