Boom vang configuration

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
tikvah59
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Emily Hope
Boat Type: Nimble 30' yawl

Boom vang configuration

Post by tikvah59 »

Can anyone offer a rule of thumb for where a traditional boom vang should connect to a boom? 50% out from the mast? Less?

Also, I'm thinking I don't need to put a sleeve through the mast when I attach a bail to it for the other end of the vang, because it's a sheer load with minimal torque. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mark
Emily Hope
Nimble 30' yawl
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Re: Boom vang configuration

Post by Case »

Its typically a third away from the mast. More is better if you can swing it.

As for the sleeve, get one! No sleeves, you will get an oblong hole sooner than later which isn't a good thing... Also, sleeves have one other bonus: They prevent the mast being crushed by the bolt holding the bail.

I used thick walled aluminum tube as a sleeve. I will replace it as it wears away or if there's excessive corrosion. Its been there for 4 years and there has been zero wear or corrosion.

- Case
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Post by Skipper599 »

Case wrote:Its typically a third away from the mast. More is better if you can swing it.

As for the sleeve, get one! No sleeves, you will get an oblong hole sooner than later which isn't a good thing... Also, sleeves have one other bonus: They prevent the mast being crushed by the bolt holding the bail.

I used thick walled aluminum tube as a sleeve. I will replace it as it wears away or if there's excessive corrosion. Its been there for 4 years and there has been zero wear or corrosion. - Case
Case, can you provide a fuller explanation for those of us who aren't very bright? eg: what sleeve? where is it located? why? ... Also, do not understand the comment about "mast crush by bail bolt" ... ??? ... Can you illustrate your comments? ... Thanks ...
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Case

Post by Case »

Imagine the bail being attached to the mast... Its a loop thing held by a bolt. This bolt goes thru the mast.

If you tighten this bolt too much, you crush the mast itself. What I did was to drill a 3/8" hole for a 3/8" aluminum tube that was pretty thick. I put this aluminum tube thru the 3/8" hole then bolted on the bail with a 1/4" bolt (it goes thru the aluminum tube). This way, all of the force is on the tube itself, not the mast.

I hope this explanation works better.

- Case
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

... Ah, Like a "compression tube" ??? ... so did you insert this inside the mast or through the mast? ... if the latter, surely it will elongate the hole in the mast just the same as the bolt?

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
One Way David
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Post by One Way David »

Skipper, I think it elongates at a slower rate (presumabaly not noticable) due to larger surface area, and it is through the boom not within the boom. Ie. drill the boom the size of the compression sleeve to be a tight fit/press fit.

Dave.
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.
Skipper599

Post by Skipper599 »

... Thanks for the explanation David ...

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'