Which way up?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Which way up?

Post by Skipper599 »

... I've never given any thought to this previously but, when installing Rigging Screws, does one install with the LH threads UP or DOWN? ... Does it really matter? ... Obviously one would want them installed all the same way ... just wondering if there's a right & wrong way to do this?
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
tpl
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: doe
Boat Type: swan 36

Re: Which way up?

Post by tpl »

one stud of my Merriman turnbuckles is T-headed, to take a
toggle. This would be the downward end. It has the LH
thread: tighten anti-clockwise.
nature loves to hide (heraclitus)
Drew
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Drew »

I don't know if it is the correct way or not, but I installed mine right hand thread down. That way righty tighty, lefty loosey would still apply.

drew
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Post by Skipper599 »

Drew wrote:I don't know if it is the correct way or not, but I installed mine right hand thread down. That way righty tighty, lefty loosey would still apply. drew

Initially Tpl, I considered the LH threads should be located on the bottom too, but I believe Drew's comment and explanation makes far more sense and so, I shall install them in that manner ... providing I can buy all new RH thread "toggle" ends.

BTW to all who may have seen my earlier thread inquiring about "Hasslefors" rigging screws, I'm happy to say I've found almost enough to equip my boat. Just require two more to complete the set. ... 3/8" thread if anyone has a couple laying around.

Now, if only I can persuade a rigger to make up my new rigging ... I may have to go to West Marine or similar such store if the local fellows persist in ignoring me.
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.