Removing Contact Adhesive

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Triton106
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Removing Contact Adhesive

Post by Triton106 »

Reading Tim's log today reminded me that I need to clean up the ugly 3M 77 residue from the an early attempt to line the ceiling and under deck area of the main cabin.
Next on the interior prep agenda was to sand the underside of the sidedecks and remaining areas of the exposed hull on each side of the main cabin. These areas were covered with a combination of flaking paint, mildew, and old contact adhesive from the foam that had been glued to every hull surface when I started the project. It was satisfying to remove the old material.
Does anyone one have recommnedations as to the method in cleaning up 3M 77 contact adhesive or contact cement? I tried acetone or paint thinner before without much success. Looks like Tim was very successful in getting rid of the glue.

Ray D. Chang
Triton 106 in Berkeley, CA
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Re: Removing Contact Adhesive

Post by Rachel »

Funny, I don't have any specific glue-removal projects going on right now, but as I read that same log, I was thinking "I wonder what he used for that particular job."

I'm guessing it involved some of the "fun" sanding discs from McMaster-Carr though.... ;^)
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Rachel wrote:I'm guessing it involved some of the "fun" sanding discs from McMaster-Carr though.... ;^)
Good guess.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

Try xylene (you'll find it in the hardware store as xylol). It is the main ingredient in 3M's adhesive remover. That and some really fun sanding.
Triton106

Post by Triton106 »

"Fun" sanding disc from McMaster Carr... Hmmm...I must be missing an insider joke.

Tim, Rachael, care to enlighten?

Ceasar, thanks for the tip on Xylene.
Ray D. Chang
Triton 106 in Berkeley, CA
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

My favorite thinner is lacquer thinner.

That said, recall that any of these thinners are poisonous, explosive, some are carcinogenic. You will have no way to judge, as an amateur or weekend warrior, just how bad your environment is inside a closed space. Most of your tools are not ignition safe (forgot the Coastie's word, ahh well, must have been too much solvent over the years). Means that sparks might be more exciting than might be wished.
Mario G
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Don't Wake Me / Shaken Knot St
Boat Type: Chrysler C-22 &C-26

Post by Mario G »

50/50 mix of alcohol and amonia but it stinks and you want to have things well vetilated
Schulman99
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: W. P. Dunnock
Boat Type: Victoria 18

Post by Schulman99 »

Mario,

Have you had good luck with that mixture? I have a bit of a contact adhesive situation in the cabin of my little Victoria 18 and unfortunately, there's just not really a lot of maneuvering room for me to be sanding too much. If I can find a solvent to help out I would be a much happier camper (even if it is guaranteed to coat my lungs with gaseous death).
sail_fix
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Fresh Air
Boat Type: Olson 34

Post by sail_fix »

We have removed a lot of adhesive from the hull as we replaced the factory fabric hull ceilings/ "liner".
Acetone or lacquer thinner is ok, but a commercial product called Goof-Off seems to work a bit better. You do need a lot of ventilation and a supply of latex gloves. I used a box fan over a nearby hatch, exhausting air at a high rate. It was a little like working inside a slow version of a wind tunnel... but best for my health. I would use a short bristle brush to work it into the glue and when the bristles got all globbed up just switch to another cheapo brush.

Not much fun.

Final surface prep is with a right-angle disc sander, using a shop vac pickup hose to catch the material flying off the discs.

LB
Chris Campbell
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Post by Chris Campbell »

And what could be better than getting to goof-off? Goofing-off has got to be one of my favourite things!
Mario G
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Don't Wake Me / Shaken Knot St
Boat Type: Chrysler C-22 &C-26

Post by Mario G »

When the law changed about window tint for cars I found the A&A mix worked great for removing the tint adhesive with out worry about the interiors of the cars. Did 100+ cars in a few years time.