Mast Painting Question

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Capn_Tom
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Mast Painting Question

Post by Capn_Tom »

I am preparing to paint my mast and boom with 2 part poly and I have a question. I have stripped the mast to bare aluminum. I have 2 internal tracks that were painted previously. I am certain that I will not be able to paint the internal tracks without leaving any drips which will cause the slides to hang up. My thought is to leave the tracks bare and either wax or coat with McLube. My concern is that the edge this creates between the bare aluminum and the paint will increase the likelihood of the paint failing. Advice?
The board does not cut itself short!
Skipper599
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Re: Mast Painting Question

Post by Skipper599 »

... Well, it looks like nobody has a response for you Tom. I myself would think as you but, I would probably go ask a shop that specializes in such work and see if they will share their thoughts on the subject.

... I read your post because I too am considering having my mast painted, but I'm looking to have it done professionally. Why? ... because if it doesn't work out too well, I can be the snotty customer who goes back and gives them hell about the crappy job they did. ... It'll feel sooooo good because ... I'm fed up taking all the blame for the crappy work I've done on my boat. lol.

... I have a 30' stick and a 12' boom ... I've been quoted $2500 - $3000 to prep and paint with a two part epoxy type paint ... is that a good (fair?) price? ... Good God! I just had my whole house painted for little more than half that amount.

... Which raises the proverbial question: ... Why is it that any work one needs done on or for the boat, always costs at least double what one would normally expect to pay???
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.
Capn_Tom

Post by Capn_Tom »

It sounds like a typical range. I have 8 hours in hardware removal 8 hours in stripping and about 300 bucks in supplies so far. The fun part is that I won't really know if I did a good job until I see how long it lasts!
earlylight
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

I just received a quote of $2140 plus $300 for mast removal and stepping to do my Sabre 34 mast and boom with AwlGrip. I can save some labor if wish to remove the hardware myself.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Just as a comparison, a friend and I had a boom repainted with Sterling two-part paint for $400. That was with the boom coming to them sans hardware and completely prepped and ready to paint. This was in SoCal about five years ago. The shop was recommended by a boatyard but was actually a place that specialized in painting outdoor metalwork.

We found it was a great time to eliminate some redundant boom hardware that had been added over the years, and to re-organize that which was kept.

I made use of digital photos and sketches before and while removing so that it all went back together easily. Given some of the "fun" that was had in taking the hardware off, we isolated it all upon re-installation with either plastic and/or TefGel.

Rachel
Capn_Tom

Post by Capn_Tom »

I've etched and primed the spreaders and boom so far and if the weather cooperates I'll etch and prime the mast this weekend. Looking ahead I need to replace the compression tubes for the tangs anyone have a good source for compression tubes?
The Froon
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: TBD

Post by The Froon »

I have just completed painting my boom with Pettit Easypoxy (one part epoxy) - a job anyone on this site could do successfully. My process:

-Removed old hardware (some saved for re-installation, some replaced)
-Counter-sinked old hardware holes, filled with thickened epoxy
-Sanded boom fair, and to remove old scale, etc.
-Marked and drilled new holes for hardware installation
-Abraded surface with medium emory cloth, and applied Pettit 6455 chemical etching
-Applied two coats of Pettit tiecoat primer 6627
-Applied three coats Pettit Easypoxy (white)...sanding with 220 from tiecoat to Easypoxy and between Easypoxy coats

Next step is to tap the new hardware holes and re-install hardware. The results are stunning....now I am trying to talk myself out of doing the mast....

I should have pics up soon on my restoration blog.

Brian
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Rachel wrote: I made use of digital photos and sketches before and while removing so that it all went back together easily.
Yes! Include measurements in your notes too (though I would think Rachel did so). I try to never take for granted that I will remember enough about the needed details to put something back together no matter how many times I have done it.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Skipper599
Boat Name: "MACUSHLA"
Boat Type: Passage 24-30 Cutter

Post by Skipper599 »

[quote="Capn_Tom"]I've etched and primed the spreaders and boom so far and if the weather cooperates I'll etch and prime the mast this weekend. Looking ahead I need to replace the compression tubes for the tangs anyone have a good source for compression tubes?[/quote]

Can you not purchase some SS tubing of appropriate size locally and make your own? ... That is what I would do. ... To install them in the mast, all you need is something like a long 1 x 2 batten ... about half the length of your mast ... cut a notch in one end so that the stainless tube will fit in it tightly. ... Insert the end with the compression tube into the mast closest to the spot you need it and manoevre the tube into position. Install the thru-bolt and withdraw the batten. ... Voila! ...
I am: Bob of Wight.

s/v 'Ros Na Cosquin'
a 'Passage - 24'

There are good ships, there are wood ships, and these ships sail the sea

But the best ship, is friendship and may this always be! ... ... ... A prayer from Ireland.