Aluminum Ports

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Aluminum Ports

Post by LazyGuy »

I have 6 aluminum opening ports that I will be removing this winter for the deck repaint as well as 4 frames for larger lights. After 43 years, they still work well but look their age. Has anyone done anything but clean up and paint these things? There are a few products out there that claim to "renew" aluminum but I am worried that a lot of it is snake oil. The ultimate would be to fill the salt pits and paint them with Interlux Perfection. I understand the whole wipe them down with acid then spray lightly with zinc chromate then paint but I am looking to improve the condition of the basic port before I paint.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Gary
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Red Sky
Boat Type: Bristol 27

Re: Aluminum Ports

Post by Gary »

I’m looking for an aluminum opening port and port light ring refinishing solution as well. I have been looking at either anodizing or powder coating. This company, http://www.difruscia.com/powder.php has some good information about the differences of each. I don’t have nay pricing information, but the idea of refinishing and adding color as well as corrosion resistance is intriguing. Has anyone gone down this path?

Dennis I’m not sure this process would fill in salt pits so this may or may not be the solution for you.
Gary
Bristol 27 - Red Sky
Robert The Gray

Post by Robert The Gray »

found this link that seemed on point. http://www.shootingtimes.com/gunsmithing/0706/#cont

r
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
Skipper Dan
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Jade
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Skipper Dan »

I paint airplanes that have a lot of aluminum. You can fill the pits with either epoxy or just use fiberglass filler. I would use the jell type goes on very smooth. First wipe everything down with a wax and grease remover. (This step must be done first). Next sand it to get it relatively smooth. Wash it in a weak acid solution. The orange stuff you get at the hardware store would probably work. I use Milkstone remover from the dairy store. Apply your putty. Sand till smooth. use a good two part epoxy primer and two part paint. The paint I use is Stewart Systems it is for aircraft but they use it on floats for planes. www.stewartsystems.aero . The stuff is very tough and is non toxic. It is also water borne.

Dan
LazyGuy
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

Thanks guys,

I will keep you posted.

Cheers
Dennis
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

You can have them re-anodized as well. Depends upon the size of your local city. They'll strip the old anodizing and re-anodize but they won't be filling pits. Once re-anodized, they'll take a nice coat of paint and fillers w/o much worry of continued corrosion.