Jibsheet Blocks and other stuff

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
christopher
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Winsum Wind
Boat Type: Bristol 29

Jibsheet Blocks and other stuff

Post by christopher »

I got the boat in the water and started rigging. Realized shortly thereafter that there are no visible blocks for the jib sheets. It's certainly possible that the blocks are on the boat somewhere, but there are no tracks for a car setup. Can the blocks just be attached to the toe rails I have? (See pic below)

Another rookie question.. What is the proper setup for an outhaul? I have a block at the end of the boom and a cleat for it, just no line. Would I want a piece of hardware like a ring with an eyespliced line? I would think the spliced line would be preferable over a bowline.

I hand scrubbed the deck and cockpit and she looks like a brand new lady. Next Thursday I set sail for home. It's about a 110 mile trip depending on route. Going to be an adventure no doubt.

Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Re: Jibsheet Blocks and other stuff

Post by Ric in Richmond »

You can attach a snatch block to the rail.

You want the jib sheet angle such that the leading edge all luffs at the same time,
Move the block forward if the top luffs first, back if the bottom luffs first. The position may change with windspeed

The outhaul.

A bowline is fine. Typically it goes from the end of the boom, to a turning block on the clew then to a turning block on the boom then forward to a winch or a cleat. Without some mechanical advantage you will never get enough teniion if you have to adjust it tighter in a blow.
Last edited by Ric in Richmond on Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
jlroberts280
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by jlroberts280 »

Another rookie question.. What is the proper setup for an outhaul? I have a block at the end of the boom and a cleat for it, just no line. Would I want a piece of hardware like a ring with an eyespliced line? I would think the spliced line would be preferable over a bowline.
Im not sure about your specific boat, but, you may find this block and cleat could be for the toping lift adjustment. Many boats of this era have a mechanical outhaul adjustment with an internal cable that runs through the boom. There would be a place to crank it on the boom near the mast. Again, not sure, but something to check. She looks great.
Jon Roberts
Spirit '83 Ericson 35-III
Former owner of VSOP '69 Pearson Coaster #115
South Portland, ME
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

Ric in Richmond wrote: The outhaul.

A bowline is fine. Typically it goes from the end of the boom, to a turning block on the clew then to a turning block on the boom then forward to a winch or a cleat. Without some mechanical advantage you will never get enough teniion if you have to adjust it tighter in a blow.
On a boat/sail of this size, simply running the line through the clew grommet should work. I haven't seen clew blocks on many boats under 35'.

I sailed a few seasons with my outhaul dinghy-rigged with a series of truckers' hitches before I spent the time and money on a more convenient setup. Several ways to skin these cats.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

I have a 2:1 advantage block system to a jamb cleat for my 9 foot sailing dinghy and I simply lash the outhaul off for the season on my Renegade. Hmmm, maybe I should rethink the system on my Renegade? ;>)
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
One Way David
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Post by One Way David »

I have often dreamed about buying a boat and fitting it out in situ, then sailing her home. Have a safe trip.

Dave.
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.