Epoxy Cleanup

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
galleywench
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Rhodes 19

Epoxy Cleanup

Post by galleywench »

I have used paint thinner and acetone for epoxy cleanup in the past but for my current re-core, I have a few roller tools that are reusable and I'd like to keep a bucket of something that I could drop them into so the epoxy doesn't destroy them and I can use them the next day.
I'm not really fond of keeping a 5 gallon pail of highly flammable liquid open and in the shop, is there something less flammable and less toxic that can be used to similar effect?
1963 Rhodes 19 #731
http://www.fernhollow.net
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: Epoxy Cleanup

Post by Hirilondë »

Distilled vinegar cleans un-cured epoxy. But I am not so sure that just dropping the tool in a bucket of it will remove the epoxy well enough or stop it from curing. Alcohol works well also, is less flammable than acetone, and easier to extinguish.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
galleywench
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Rhodes 19

Post by galleywench »

Hirilondë wrote: ... But I am not so sure that just dropping the tool in a bucket of it will remove the epoxy well enough or stop it from curing...
Thanks, I read somewhere that vinegar could be used, but I couldn't find it in search. I was exaggerating a bit about just dropping it in a bucket... I expect I need to do some level of cleanup regardless of what I use, I just want something that won't catch fire or alter my genetic code anymore that I have already done.
1963 Rhodes 19 #731
http://www.fernhollow.net
radicalcy
Boat Name: AllAboutMe
Boat Type: Columbia 8.7

Post by radicalcy »

I really do just drop my fiberglassing tools (rollers,brushes, cutting tools,) into a bucket of white vinegar and let them soak at least overnite, unless i'm using them momentarily.Note: vinegar will turn stainless black, so if you have aesthetic issues, don't soak your rotary cutter blade.
A good stiff wire brush like house painters use to clean brushes works wonders. soap and water usually takes care of the residue along with a good brushing. On occasion I've had to use a torch to burn the epoxy out of the grooves on my rollers, but a cheap coping saw will accomplish the task also. Just takes a bit longer.
Larry Wilson
Larry Wilson
Columbia 8.7
Columbia Sabre