Holding tank gallons?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
cdawgs65
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Ring
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 559

Holding tank gallons?

Post by cdawgs65 »

I know this probably has been asked before but I can't find an answer, so here it is, 2 adults, 2 young kids on the boat this summer, how big should a holding tank be in a Triton? It will be on a mooring also. Thanks so much in advance!!!!
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Re: Holding tank gallons?

Post by bcooke »

Too many variables.

I would say, as big as you can get it, which probably won't be big enough considering that we are talking about space starved Tritons.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
David VanDenburgh
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ariel
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

Post by David VanDenburgh »

Totally non-PC, but how many of them can pee over the side? It makes a difference, especially if little ones are using more water than they create to flush their pee. We have a 30 gal. holding tank in the v-berth of our Cape Dory 36. I'm not really certain how often we pump it out - maybe once a week during our summer cruise. I replaced the original tank (26 gal.) a few years back and went with the biggest replacement tank I could fit in the space. Not Triton-specific, but it gives you an idea of what a boat with a bit more interior volume carries.

And I realize this probably falls into the TMI category, but using a seal-able container such as an OJ jug as a temporary receptacle is helpful for consolidating and then flushing #1 once, without requiring separate flushes to clear the hoses with every use. Obviously, the technique is not universally applicable. It does extend the time between pumpouts, though.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

The basic rule for a good flush for solids is a full gallon. You can probably get away with less, but that is what many manual toilets call for. In other words, you probably can't fit one as big as you would like. Mine is about 14 gallons. I make it work because I have no choice. I have my head plumbed such that I have the option for direct discharge over board. I use this option any time I am in an area where it is allowed, which is 3 miles from land for most places. I can also discharge my tank over board as well as pump it out. I empty it over board when ever it is legal just for the convenience. We could get into a discussion on the laws for discharge, but that is almost as bad as chatting politics or religion ;>)
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

David VanDenburgh wrote:... using a seal-able container such as an OJ jug as a temporary receptacle is helpful for consolidating and then flushing #1 once, without requiring separate flushes to clear the hoses with every use. Obviously, the technique is not universally applicable.
Oh I don't know about that* ;) Depending on what you mean by "universal," of course.

On a different tack: What about using WAG bags? Now granted, you would go broke using them day in and day out for a family of four, but for weekends and occasional cruises? I would lean that way. No holding tank to pump or take up space, no expensive hoses or tanks (that would pay for a lot of WAG bags right there), and no Porta-Potti to clean. (And you can use one bag more than once.)

http://www.gocleanwaste.com/go-anywhere-toilet-kit
Oh, see they have changed it to "GO anywhere bag" Ookay, we get it.

Rachel

*sorry, Britton
David VanDenburgh
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ariel
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

Post by David VanDenburgh »

Rachel wrote:Oh I don't know about that* ;) Depending on what you mean by "universal," of course.
I suppose you're right. I should have said universally acceptable.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

David VanDenburgh wrote: I should have said universally acceptable.
Now that is surely true :)

R.
cdawgs65
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Ring
Boat Type: Pearson Triton 559

Post by cdawgs65 »

Thanks for all the info, some how I feel that I will be using most of it! regards