Barrier Coat?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
tikvah59
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Emily Hope
Boat Type: Nimble 30' yawl

Barrier Coat?

Post by tikvah59 »

I don't get to post on this forum as much as I'd like, but now that I'm finally done bailing out my basement from the rain we've had in the Northeast (the spare bilge pump came in handy) my thoughts are turning to my Triton yawl.

I've owned the boat for about 10 years and it's time to strip the bottom. I've been using Micron CSC multi-season ablative paint, because that's what the PO used. I've tried to let the layers wear down by just painting where it chipped off, but now the paint that's still there is losing it's ability to repel growth.

Based on a recent Practical Sailor article, I'm planning to try Back to Nature Aqua-strip. It cleans up with water and is currently on sale at Jamestown. Finally to my question: once I go through the trouble of removing the old bottom paint, would it be dumb not to apply an epoxy barrier coat? I've not had a chance to do much research in this area, so I'm hoping to tap in the combined expertise on this forum!

TIA.

Mark
Emily Hope
Nimble 30' yawl
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: Barrier Coat?

Post by Tim »

No, it would not be dumb not to apply barrier coat. I wouldn't. I think they're hooey.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Question: Does your 50 year old Triton hull layup have a problem with blisters now? ;-)

Good to hear from you Mark. You have been quiet for a long time! How is ol' #59?
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Richincident
Master Varnisher

Post by Richincident »

Glad to hear they are hooey!

I was wondering about the same thing for THE INCIDENT. When I got her the bottom paint had been MOSTLY removed, and I just put new bottom paint on. Later I thought perhaps I SHOULD have put a barrier coat on, though that was mostly from reading about other folks doing it. Never made much sense to me, but sometimes I miss the point....

THANKS TIM! You made me feel a lot better about doing nothing!
Richard McManus

1967 Soverel 28 #82
THE INCIDENT
tikvah59
Master Varnisher

Post by tikvah59 »

bcooke wrote:Question: Does your 50 year old Triton hull layup have a problem with blisters now? ;-)

Good to hear from you Mark. You have been quiet for a long time! How is ol' #59?
Thanks, Britton. #59 was much better last year once I got the "new" mast installed. I got one from Bob Moberg in NH, and it took until mid-August to get the boat in the water. Many factors that I couldn't control, but that's who it goes sometimes.

No blisters that I'm aware of. If a barrier coat is one less thing to do that works for me.

Mark
Emily Hope
Nimble 30' yawl
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Mark, I thought Bob's #407 was fractional rig. Was it yawl rigged like yours or did you have to modify it?

I am almost afraid to ask, why does Bob no longer need a mast?...

oh never mind. That was the perfectly functioning Triton that was chopped up for parts :-(
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
tikvah59
Master Varnisher

Post by tikvah59 »

bcooke wrote:Mark, I thought Bob's #407 was fractional rig. Was it yawl rigged like yours or did you have to modify it?

I am almost afraid to ask, why does Bob no longer need a mast?...

oh never mind. That was the perfectly functioning Triton that was chopped up for parts :-(
Yes, it was a fractional rig before he cut the boat up. I have a fancy stainless jumper strut from him that I have to post in the classifieds one of these days. The mast on his boat had been replaced and seemed like a good deal at the time . . . in any case, now I have all new standing rigging on the main mast, along with a mast that's newer than my original one. It's also a little taller and it has an extruded sail track rather than the external one. We did cut it down a bit.

Although they didn't cost nearly as much, the opening bronze ports I got from him were the real find. Just have to get around to fixing them up and making them fit my cabin which doesn't have a headliner.

One day I'll ask question about the hinged cockpit seat covers I got from him. I got the whole cockpit seat for both sides, with the drains and all. If you remember the cheesy plastic hatches I have in my cockpit you'll know why I'd consider that kind of radical surgery.

Mark
Emily Hope
Nimble 30' yawl