Ensign Ballast and Modification

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
David VanDenburgh
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ariel
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

Ensign Ballast and Modification

Post by David VanDenburgh »

Does anyone know what Pearson used for ballast in their Ensigns? I'm assuming its lead, but I know A30s have cast iron.

Second question relates to modifying the interior a tad. I grabbed this picture from a 'for sale' listing to help identify the area I'm thinking about modifying.

Notice that the port bunk has a cut-out to accommodate the outboard. Would eliminating that cutout and making the port side match the starboard side, which angles toward the center line, create any class issues - i.e., hinder resale?

Here's what I'm looking at gutting and replacing due to pour-in foam and water saturation in every compartment. Pretty, isn't it?!

Thank you!

David
One Way David
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Re: Ensign Ballast and Modification

Post by One Way David »

Mine, and I think it was original, had an illegal-dated toilet there. The cut out raised to allow access. I don't know anything about race/class rules but I'd bet the new ones don't have that. I generally apply the "don't ask, don't tell" rule to exploring the foam compartments on mine.

Dave, who loves his Ensign 1387.
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.
David VanDenburgh

One Way David wrote: I don't know anything about race/class rules but I'd bet the new ones don't have that.
Good point. Here's a photo from ensignspars.com showing the interior configuration:

I suppose that answers that question. Any clue about the ballast?
Case

Post by Case »

The Ensign has lead ballast. Most Alberg designs had lead ballast. The Alberg 30 was supposed to have lead ballast but the builder, Whitby, changed that for cost savings.

- Case
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

The Ensign I had (1447) had a head mounted beneath that cutout in the berth when I bought the boat.

I don't know class rules, but have trouble imagining that it'd be a problem to create a full-length berth in its stead. I think the head was probably a factory option, and not even installed on many (most?) in the class originally.

Ensign ballast is lead. Pearson always used lead for its boats, fortunately.

(I miss my Ensign.)
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
David VanDenburgh

Thanks for the replies and information.

Tim, did you remove (or did you have) the molded (PVC?) rub rail that covers the hull-deck flange when you painted Silent Running? If so, is it pretty straight forward? This boat is going to need a complete painting from interior to deck to topsides to bottom.

Here's a tiny bit of information about the project Click. I'm sure I'll have several more questions as the project progresses.

Thanks again.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

I didn't remove the rail, but I had the stock rubrail.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
hebert01
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Allegra

Post by hebert01 »

Hi-

That first photo is actually from my boat, Allegra - #998. I briefly put her up for sale a couple of years ago, as I was searching for a cruising boat. After a bit of soul-searching, I realized I'd likely regret selling what is a perfect daysailing design, so I decided to keep her. I still keep the site up as an Ensign photo reference for people like yourself.

In regards to your rubrail question, I believe it's a pretty straightforward project. Zeke Durica (from Ensign Spars) also stocks a replacement rubrail, which does not use the stern corners of the original rubrails. I believe you have to snip the corners a bit and warm the rubrail with a heat gun to conform to the turn (not 100% sure - I didn't do this project myself, but a friend on mine did his Ensign's rubrail and explained the process to me).

Zeke sells an in-depth instructional on rub rail install for the Ensign for $25. You could also call him with any questions specific to the Ensign. He's always been very responsive to me, and he obviously knows the boat and the Class rules inside out.

Good luck with your project!
Last edited by hebert01 on Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ed Hebert
ALLEGRA - Ensign #998
hebert01

Post by hebert01 »

By the way, the previous posters are correct. That cutout on the port bunk previously contained a porta-potty. I make use of that space for my outboard - it is convenient!
Ed Hebert
ALLEGRA - Ensign #998
David VanDenburgh

Ed,

Beautiful boat! Hope you don't mind me borrowing the photo to post here.

My initial thought was that the cutout was for a head or porta-potti, but it sure works well for an outboard too.

Regarding the rubrail: can the original be reinstalled after it has been removed? It's in good shape, but it would seem wise to remove it for painting.

Thanks,

David
hebert01

Post by hebert01 »

HI David-

Thanks for the compliments on Allegra, and no worries about borrowing my photo for project purposes - it's exactly why I kept the site up! Although I do find it a little bothersome when a few other sellers have used photos of Allegra when trying to sell their own Ensigns on Craigslist / eBay (without issuing the typical "sistership" disclaimer). Caveat emptor.

Yes, I'm almost positive that the old Ensign rub rail can be removed and reinstalled, although I haven't had the need to do it yet myself. I'm also planning to paint the topsides on Allegra, so maybe I will also remove the rub rail this spring as well.

Not sure if you're aware of the Ensign Sailors group on the Yahoo message boards. Lots of conversations specific to Ensign sailing and restoration there, and many other active class sailors visit that board. If you have questions specific to the Ensign that can't be answered here, there's usually someone there that can answer. However, I find the Plastic Classic Forum here to be the most knowledgeable, well-wounded, and friendly group of people on any of the sailing boards. Both good resources!

Best of luck with your project, and feel free to PM me if you want to chat further about all the boring (to others) details of the Ensign. I really do love my boat.

Ed
Ed Hebert
ALLEGRA - Ensign #998
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

hebert01 wrote: However, I find the Plastic Classic Forum here to be the most knowledgeable, well-wounded, and friendly group of people on any of the sailing boards.
Yeah, for example, Zach was just giving tips about how to hold your hand after a grinding-disc flap goes to town on it so that you can get back to it ASAP ;) ;)
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

That was cold... lol.
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Sorry Zach. I was really just laughing because I figured Hebert meant to say "well-rounded" but made a funny slip. I had just read your treatise on how to heal without curtailing the grinding, so it came to mind.
hebert01

Post by hebert01 »

oops - little Freudian slip there (and I'm not talking about a Freud power tool)! Although I guess we all possess a few battle scars. :-)

- Ed
Ed Hebert
ALLEGRA - Ensign #998
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

Hehe... I found it quite funny... no apologizing!
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
David VanDenburgh

Ed,

I saw some pictures of rudder work on Allegra, and now I have a question: What repairs did you perform and how'd you go about it?

Thanks,

David
hebert01

Post by hebert01 »

Hi David-

Curious - where'd you see those photos? At the time I had the boat for sale and built the site, I hadn't yet redone the rudder, so I don't think I posted them there. I probably uploaded the photos to another site at some point, but I can't remember where. I did the rudder project a couple of years ago.In any event, I did take a few photos of the job, and can send you them if you'll find them helpful.

My original mahogany rudder had lots of annoying dings, holes, scars, and even a bit of dry rot. While I don't think it's necessary to glass over a mahogany rudder that's in good shape (and I feel glassing actually can be detrimental), mine was really beat. If my rudder only had gaps between the boards (typical of a boat that's out of the water), I'd have left it alone. Those gaps go away when the boards swell up once the boat gets wet. But I knew I'd need a new rudder either way, and my choice was to buy a new one or try to salvage what I already had. So I gave it a shot and glassed it.

Specifically, the process I used was to pull the entire rudder assembly from the boat (by removing the bronze strap and shoe at the base of the rudder), and then detach the rudder blade from the post. Two long bolts and two big wood screws secure the mahogany boards to the post. Once the wood rudder blade was free from its post, I got to work on it. I filled and then sanded about 1/8" off each side of it. That reduction in thickness allowed me to build up several layers of thin glass fabric to replace the 1/8" and maintain the original rudder thickness. (I forgot the fabric weight I used, but it was pretty light). In sanding, I made sure to keep the rudder extremely fair, and hand sanded with a board.

To apply the glass to the mahogany rudder, I wet it with West 105/205 epoxy, and I vacuum bagged it. I used peel-ply material between the breather fabric and the bag. This technique allowed me to get a pretty flawless smooth glass application. You can search the web for the basics on the vacuum bagging process - that's how I learned. One site I just found is here.

My vacuum bag was actually a modified skateboard fabrication bag made by a company called Roarockit. These guys make longboard skateboard kits. I wrote them about my project, and asked them to make me a slightly larger bag for my rudder. They happily agreed. In fact they thought it was great that I adapted their product for a different purpose other than the original intent. They gave me a few pointers too. While their hand pump pulls a pretty good vacuum, I had access to an actual vacuum pump so I attached a hose coupling to the bag and used that instead. I bet their hand pump would work fine for this project, though.

Despite my lack of experience in vacuum bagging, I was surprised that it came out as well as it did. A few years later the rudder is still looking very good. Honestly, I was worried that if I messed up the glass job and moisture infiltrated the rudder, the mahogany would swell and crack the glass application. So far that hasn't been the case, thankfully.

I'm not a professional boat restorer and I'm not sure whether this would be the proper technique that a yard would employ. In fact I believe most professionals would tell you to leave a serviceable mahogany rudder alone. Mine was really shot. Anyway, that's how I did the job. I saved several hundred dollars and picked up a few new tricks along the way.
Ed Hebert
ALLEGRA - Ensign #998
David VanDenburgh

Ed,

Thanks for the detailed response. It helps a lot. I came across your photos (about 3 or 4) on the Yahoo EnsignSailor group.

I need to take a close look at the rudder on #1240 to determine the best course of action. Your approach might come in handy.

Thanks,

David
David VanDenburgh

The fiberglass/resin top of #1240's ballast is cracked and lifted along the starboard side of the bilge over a length of about 2 ft. I suspect that water found its way under the bilge and into whatever cavity there might be around the ballast and then froze. Obviously, I need to fill that gap to prevent water ingress. What I don't want to do is seal off the area with water inside. (By the way, there is no freeze damage evident on either side of the keel)

My question is: how best to dry the area? Just let it air dry with the help of fans? Pour in a bit of acetone to speed it up?

I'd really like to get the area dry and sealed so I don't have to worry about more water getting in there as we wash the boat down after all of our grinding and sanding. Thanks for the suggestions.

http://nauticallit.wordpress.com

David
hebert01

Post by hebert01 »

I had a similar issue, with water intruding from the area around the lifting eye. I drilled a couple of 1/2" holes in the the base (underside) of the keel, about 2 feet aft of the point where the keel gets horizontal. A bunch of trapped water rushed out. I left it for a couple of months, plugged the holes with epoxy, and didn't think much more about it. I also epoxied the area in the bilge around the lifting eye.

I just finished fitting a bronze garboard drain in the bottom of my bilge, too (further aft of the point where I'm telling you to drill). Now in the winter I can simply unscrew the drain plug and won't have to worry about water / ice damage due to heavy snow or high winds wreaking havoc with my tarp. Also handy for hose wash downs come spring.
Ed Hebert
ALLEGRA - Ensign #998
David VanDenburgh

Ed,

I stopped by the school this afternoon and drilled a 1/2" hole in the bottom of the keel. Sure enough, water poured out. Thanks for the tip. Now we'll seal off the bilge and leave the keel open for a while to drain and dry as much as possible.

David