Matching Philipine Mahogany

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Capn_Tom
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Matching Philipine Mahogany

Post by Capn_Tom »

I just confirmed with the original builder of my boat that the rails and stiles of the locker doors were made from philipine mahogany. I recognize that philipine mahogany is not really mahogany and could actually be one of a few different species. It smells like luan. I have not been able to locate a local source for philipine mahogany. I need to build three locker doors and would like them to match the existing doors as closely as possible. I have already refinished the existing doors by filling the grain and staining with interlux red mahogany stain. This is a dark stain so the primary issue in matching will be grain of the wood and stain absorption. The closest match I have found in unfinished lumber is spanish cedar. Any thoughts on spanish cedar or another option?
The board does not cut itself short!
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Re: Matching Philipine Mahogany

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Start by Googling Philipine Mahogany and identify the several species that the stuff really is. Meranti is one (I await near certain correction) but there are a bunch in the family. However, these species are often quite different in color, etc. Then go shopping. Should be easy.

Not that it's at all likely to be helpful for you, Delaware County Supply in Boothwin PA, just off I-95 at the Delaware border, has it for certain sure.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

If you are going to stain the wood anyway, then all that really matters is coming close on the grain and ending up with a similar color. Check out cambara or meranti which are not mahogany either and are often sold as it. Both are sold as decking. I wouldn't plank a boat with either, but for interior trim and cabinet work they are just fine.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Capn_Tom

Post by Capn_Tom »

It's times like these I question my decision to refit a boat in the middle of the country. I've checked for meranti at my usual hardwood sources with no luck. I have 2 more places to check today. If I strike out I'll flip a coin and hope for the best!
okawbow
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Thursdays' Child
Boat Type: Privateer 26 Schooner

Post by okawbow »

If you have a Menards near by; they carry that kind of "mahogany" in 1" clear boards. I've used it for hatch boards that turned out well.
Chuck
1976 Bristol 24
"Harmony"
Capn_Tom

Post by Capn_Tom »

Thanks for your recommendations. After visiting every exotic hardwood supplier in the Cincinnati area I ended up buying Sapele. The grain match on the boards I selected was pretty good and the color was close. $7.80 per bf was more than I had planned but fortunately I only needed 10.