Low Wind Sail

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Marshall Wright
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: s/v Sunset
Boat Type: Pacific Seacraft 25T

Low Wind Sail

Post by Marshall Wright »

Greetings,

I own a Pacific Seacraft 25 and am considering buying a low wind head sail to help move my heavy boat along during those frequent quiet wind days on the Chesapeake in July and August.

I am confused by the alternatives. I'd like to avoid a spinaker since I frequently sail by myself so am looking at the asymetrical-type sails, genakers, and the like.

I'd like to be able to use this sail for the largest number of sail angles as possible. Is one sort of sail give me a broader array of sail angles than another? Or are most of these sails primarily downwind sails that may approach a broad reach but can't be used much closer to the wind?

What do folks use and are satisfied with? Thanks for any advice in advance.

Marshall
Marshall Wright
Annapolis, MD
1977 Pacific Seacraft 25
catamount
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

Re: Low Wind Sail

Post by catamount »

A "Code Zero" sail is a type of Asymmetrical "Spinnaker", sort of, that can be used at apparent wind angles of down to about 50 degrees or better. The trick to being able to point high with a free-flying sail like this supposedly is to have a purchase system on the halyard so that you can really tension the luff-rope of the sail (since it is not set on a stay). No reason why you couldn't also use such a sail off the wind as well -- it's just that's its shape might not be optimized for off-the-wind sailing.

That said, traditional spinnakers and asymmetricals are not necessarily limited to just downwind or broad reaching. We have flown our all-purpose 0.75-ounce symmetrical spinnaker, tacked to the bow rather than a pole, and strapped down hard, at apparent wind angles of 80 to 75 degrees -- in other words, ahead of a beam reach!

Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation
jollyboat
Boat Name: Jollyboat
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by jollyboat »

Marshall,
There are a lot of questions that a sail maker will want to ask you in addition to what you have spelled here on the forum in concern to your wishes, sailing geographical area and how you typically sail. Light air sailing can be some of our most challenging sailing and there is sure to be as many light air sails as there are points of sail in regard to light air sailing. In your case, many sail makers will want to point you in the direction of an asymmetrical cruising spinnaker at around 165% LP, 95% hoist, either in .75 oz. or .50 oz with a dousing sock, (Chute Scoop or ATN). For many, the asymmetrical spinnaker is the sail that they turn to for light air sailing. Once the sails best angles of attack are understood and how best to hoist and douse the sail, the asymmetrical spinnaker meets most light air sailing needs, however, for single handed sailing you might be better off with a "wind seeker" . The wind seeker is considered to be a headsail or genoa though made with very light cloth. Nylon can be used for wind seekers as well as can Polyester. Though Polyester does not have the tear resistance that Nylon exhibits, I would consider Polyester over Nylon for a wind seeker because it is a more stable material and is less prone to stretch. If your boat has a furler you could build a wind seeker to fit the furler but I would consider a free flying luff and have the sail built with a spectra luff line. You would set the sail from the deck, of course rig your sheets and nailing down the tack and clipping on the spinnaker halyard making sure everything is on the outside. Hoist the sail with boat down wind, sheets loose. You can tighten the halyard so that the luff is bone tight for windward work or slacken it off for lower angles. The LP on this will be huge say maybe 180% and you will sheet through the spinnaker turning blocks on the stern of the boat. The wind seeker will not have as much area as the asymmetrical but will allow for both tacks and jibes with a little more control than that of the asym - but that point could be argued with ease. The advantages of the wind seeker, is that you will be able to point higher as well keep the sail up slightly longer if the wind builds over that of the asymmetrical. Both sails have their strengths and weakness. You could also use a dousing sock with the wind seeker if you wanted too.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Brian,

How does a "wind seeker" differ from a drifter?

Thanks,

Rachel
catamount

Post by catamount »

What jollyboat describes as a windseeker sounds more like what I described as a Code Zero than what I've heard called a windseeker. What I know as a windseeker is also sometimes called a spinnaker staysail, or a Tall Boy, Big Boy, or Dasy Staysail. This is a very light weight sail, generally with a fairly flat cut, that is set free-flying inside your foretriangle. It might have an LP of 90% but with a full-hoist luff. The idea with a sail like this is that you want to try to maintain attached laminar air flow with whatever wind there is (easier to do with a smaller sail than a big sail that would have more tendency to flop around).

Usually in light air we adjust our sails for maximum draft to generate as much power from the wind as we can, but when the wind goes really light and the sails start slatting, I strap everything down tight, as flat as I can, in order to try to keep whatever wind there is flowing in a laminar fashion over the sail. Under these conditions, if the sail's draft is too great, or the sail is flopping back and forth, you can't maintain attached flow and thus you won't generate any lift.

BTW, Brian Hancock's book "Maximum Sail Power" might be a good resource for you.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

catamount wrote:What jollyboat describes as a windseeker sounds more like what I described as a Code Zero than what I've heard called a windseeker. What I know as a windseeker is also sometimes called a spinnaker staysail, or a Tall Boy, Big Boy, or Dasy Staysail.
I say toe may toe and you say toe mah toe. ;>)

Sorry, but I couldn't resist. There are many similar but different versions of the light air drifter/reacher. The names for these sails may or may not mean much of anything, and they are often interchangeable. The code 0 is primarily a racing sail, but that doesn't mean you can't use if for cruising or daysailing. Seeing as you will have to have this sail custom made for your boat any way I would go talk to a reputable sailmaker about the options he/she feels are best for your boat. The answer is most likely a full draft light weight foresail, but the details of it can vary based on your boat and your needs/wants. And in the end, you can call it what ever you want.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
catamount

Post by catamount »

Hirilondë wrote:
catamount wrote:What jollyboat describes as a windseeker sounds more like what I described as a Code Zero than what I've heard called a windseeker. What I know as a windseeker is also sometimes called a spinnaker staysail, or a Tall Boy, Big Boy, or Dasy Staysail.
I say toe may toe and you say toe mah toe. ;>)

Sorry, but I couldn't resist. There are many similar but different versions of the light air drifter/reacher. The names for these sails may or may not mean much of anything, and they are often interchangeable. The code 0 is primarily a racing sail, but that doesn't mean you can't use if for cruising or daysailing. Seeing as you will have to have this sail custom made for your boat any way I would go talk to a reputable sailmaker about the options he/she feels are best for your boat. The answer is most likely a full draft light weight foresail, but the details of it can vary based on your boat and your needs/wants. And in the end, you can call it what ever you want.
Agree wholeheartedly!