ice in the bilge

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
jlroberts280
Deck Grunge Scrubber

ice in the bilge

Post by jlroberts280 »

The short version is......due to many distractions when I put the boat away this fall about 1-2" of water was left in the bottom of the bilge (deep full keel). Now it has frozen. I know this is bad. The question is... is it worth doing anything about it now, or is the damage already done and just wait for spring?
Jon Roberts
Spirit '83 Ericson 35-III
Former owner of VSOP '69 Pearson Coaster #115
South Portland, ME
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Re: ice in the bilge

Post by Duncan »

jlroberts280 wrote:... is it worth doing anything about it now, or is the damage already done and just wait for spring?
Just wait for spring. And don't worry about it, especially only a few inches..
The expansion of the water, as it freezes, is along the path of least resistance, i.e. upward. It won't put any pressure on anything.

I bought a similar (deep full keel) boat a few years ago, which had water in the bilge, almost right up to the cabin sole. This had frozen solid, and the boat had been in this state for several years, freezing and thawing. There was no damage.
Cape Dory 10 & 27
jollyboat
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Jollyboat
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by jollyboat »

Not to worry, but if you decide not to wait for spring there are options. You could thaw the ice and remove the water. You could also thaw the ice and add anti-freeze.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

You're in ME. Salt water. You could consider salting your bilge which would melt the ice if the world gets up above about 25 deg for long enough, and give you something to pump. Then leave it dry; you'll feel better. Certainly leaving the potable-type antifeeze in the bilge cannot hurt. (Our marina owner goes ape**** (rule #3) if someone uses ethylene glycol in their bilge; they lost a favored dog to it when discarded overboard in the yard.)

I doubt freeze damage to the boat with just a couple inches, there's room for expansion and the boats are pretty robust down there. I've gotten away with it, so far. I think you could readily ruin your bilge pump if it's in the frozen depth, rigid shapes and fittings might not tolerate it. We lost the impeller in our (failed) hot tub when the pump froze. I think I could loose my monel fuel tank (in the keel) if the surrounding bilge water froze.