refinishing old chromed bronze port lights

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Desertmariner
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Desertmariner
Boat Type: Soverel 30

refinishing old chromed bronze port lights

Post by Desertmariner »

Hi,
i have 5 port lights off of a 30 foot Soverel 1972. I'd like to get them into serviceable shape. As i investigate the re-plating shops it sounds expensive. They are oval and 6.5 x15 inches. There are like 5 different pieces per unit which includes the dogs. Any body have this done here. i wondered about how much it should cost to have done. Has anyone ever tried to re-plate at home. There are company's that have kits for doing this. Any advice is appreciated.
rich
Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Re: refinishing old chromed bronze port lights

Post by Ric in Richmond »

Find a friend involved in classic cars. Ask them who they use for plating. Use them.

The good platers are few and far between theses days.

You will never get it right at home.

Or let it just go bronze. That is my plan. Mine were re-plated about 10-15 years ago and are showing their age.
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Ric in Richmond wrote: Or let it just go bronze.
Or even help it along and remove the rest of the chrome mechanically. Bronze is beautiful!! Ok, I think it is any way. But then green is my favorite color.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
jollyboat
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Jollyboat
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by jollyboat »

On Triton 346 "Sepibajezus", I removed, disassembled, sanded, primed and painted all of the port light and dead light frames. All of the paint products were "off the shelf" type spray paints. I choose a metal flake brass color spray paint and was very happy with the results. I cannot claim to know why, but it has been my experience that the spray paints in the "metal colors" category (brass, copper, gold, silver, etc.) have excellent durability. Upon installation of my freshly painted ports I could not have more pleased. Though not new chrome, the outcome was that of well maintained, clean and sharp looking result. The cost was minimal. Just a thought.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter