Negative Bus Bar

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Capn_Tom
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Negative Bus Bar

Post by Capn_Tom »

I am installing a new distibution panel and have run into a snag. My intention was to not use the negative bus on the back of the panel but rather route all of the negative returns from the circuits to a terminal strip located behind the distribution panel. The terminal strip was to be connected to the boats common ground via 2 awg cable (100 amp panel 10' total run). After connecting all of the circuits to to the terminal strip I learned that the smallest lug for 2 awg wire is 1/4" and the terminal strip uses #8 screws. It seems ridiculous to wire the negative bus on the back of the panel to the common ground and then wire the negative returns for the 16 circuits from the distribution panel to the terminal strip. I've googled my fingers raw with no luck. hopefully someone here has some ideas.
The board does not cut itself short!
Ryan

Re: Negative Bus Bar

Post by Ryan »

You could always replace the buss bar with a Blue Sea Systems 2302 or similar. You get the large studs for the negative cable and plenty of #8 terminal screws for individual circuits.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Use something like this, which has two 5/16" studs for your large cables and #10 screws for the small wires. There are smaller versions with fewer wire screws, depending on your needs.

---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Capn_Tom

Post by Capn_Tom »

Thanks for clearing my mental block. As much time as I've spent on Blue Sea's site I should have come up with that on my own.
Capn_Tom

Post by Capn_Tom »

The new 20 position busbar arrived and is installed. Now a rant in the form of a question. In Blue Sea's limited instructions for their 16 circuit distribution panel they reference the assumption that the positive feed will be at least 2 awg. Since the smallest ring terminal available for a 2 awg wire is 1/4", why would they design the panel to have a #10 screw for the feed to the positive bus? While I'm at it would it kill them to include ring terminals on the pre-stripped wires for the leds and position labels. How about a jumper between the positive busses for the 2 rows of breakers!

Okay, I feel better now. generally I am happy with their wide selection and quality but attention to a few details would make a big difference.