New owner of Triton 227

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Scott
Deck Grunge Scrubber

New owner of Triton 227

Post by Scott »

Well I have finally been down to inspect 227 and button her up for the winter. I was pleasantly surprised to see how structurally sound she was other than a small soft spot on the port side deck about 2/3's of the way back from the bow. Otherwise the rudder, through hulls, sails and rigging all appear in good shape. She even comes with a recent Harken rolling.
The main issue is that the old girl has about the worst case of cracking and crazing I have ever seen! I guess that translates into hours of sanding therapy once I get her home. The main issues at this time are that there is no tiller or main sheet hardware, and the boat will need new wiring as well as repowering before I could entertain sailing her home.
I was considering installing a new main sheet traveller, but will be waiting until I have to strip her and redo the deck/coachroof. Meanwhile, I was wondering if anyone with the original sheet arrangement would send me a photo or explanation how it is set up. Also does anyone have an old tiller they would be prepared to part with, whether for restoration or use as a pattern for a new one? Finally (for now), I know this is not a popular option, but I was going to hang an outboard off the end of her (temporarily) in order to sail her home. To those of you that have the outboard arrangement, what size outboard are you using and is there a recommended make/size of bracket.
Thanks for now. Scott
Have recently purchased Pearson Triton which I will be restoring over the coming months/years!
barrybrown
Master Varnisher

Re: New owner of Triton 227

Post by barrybrown »

Scott;

In case you don't find an old tiller this information may be of use, I just replaced my tiller and tiller strap. The tiller strap is a Spartan 1" bought from Hamilton Marine for $150 plus shipping. The tiller from H & L Marine (310-638-8746) was Shape 'E' with a curve rise of 1 3/4" and size W= 1 3/4" x H= 2 1/4" x L= 42". Cost $104 including finish and shipping. This is larger than the original in order to fit the Spartan strap. Since things can vary from boat to boat, if you choose to buy new it would be wise to confirm these dimensions with others my hull # is 421.

Barry
barrybrown
Master Varnisher

Post by barrybrown »

After I posted I realized that I may have given misleading information, H & L will also make a new tiller to fit your existing strap assuming it is still in good condition. It takes a couple of weeks for delivery.
Scott
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Scott »

Thanks for getting back to me Barry. I was hoping to build a new tiller myself out of some oak I have left over from Hurricane Juan. All I really need is an outline of the tiller really. I suspect they are quite similar to the one on an Alberg 30. If I don't get any response here I would probably be able to find an A30 here in Nova Scotia whose owner would allow me to draw an outline of their tiller. Do you have any info on how the original main sheet was set up? I have nothing to go by, just the two fastening points at the aft end of the cockpit. No hardware or lines to be found anywhere.
Scott
Have recently purchased Pearson Triton which I will be restoring over the coming months/years!
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Don't feel bound by any previous tiller design--make one that works for you. There's no need to copy something else. Make a plywood template or two as needed to check out shapes that you like, and then build your tiller accordingly when you find a shape you like.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Triton 53
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Alli-Ann
Boat Type: Triton

Post by Triton 53 »

Scott,

I checked my original tiller and it is 38" long but I have replaced it with an "off the shelf" tiller from West (I think). I cut it down to a comfortable length, about 35", and
routed the base to fit the original bracket.

My main sheet starts on the port side with a combination pulley and cam-cleat with a becket, From the becket up to the boom to a double pulley then down to the starboard side with a single pulley, It then goes back to the boom and down to the port side pulley / cleat. I have about 80' of main sheet.
Hope this helps.
"Alli-Ann" Triton #53
Edgewood Yacht Club

Basic research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.
Wernher von Braun