Mouse smell

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Tom Javor
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Pandalus
Boat Type: 1964 Sailmaster 22D hull #3

Mouse smell

Post by Tom Javor »

When I bought the Sailmaster it had a very strong odor from mice that had been live aboards. I've been over the entire interior -including bilges etc- with a rather strong bleach solution that I let sit on everything (with the exception of the floorboards interior is all 'glass and the floorboards were not stored on board). It was all then rinsed down and wiped up. Things were fine for a week and now that the humidity is back so is the odor. I've considered having a go with a stronger solution of bleach but I am concerned it may damage the 'glass - not to mention what it's like working in a confined space with it after it mixes with dried out mouse urine.

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks
TJ
BristolJonny
Bottom Paint Application Technician
Boat Name: Friendship
Boat Type: Proline 23 stinkpot

Re: Mouse smell

Post by BristolJonny »

You could try white vinegar. Or perhaps scrub with a baking soda solution. I'm not sure they'll work, but they are both old-time cleaning and smell reduction products, before the grocery stores became inundated with toxic chemicals.
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Case »

Ugh Mouse Smell. I know that smell all too well myself.

Anyway, wash your boat again. Maybe a couple of times. Then paint the interior. Fiberglass can hold lots of smells so painting it (after as many washes) is the best permanent solution.

No real recommendations on what washing solution you should use because I haven't personally had the need to do so myself. Others might have that information.

Good luck.

- Case
MikeD
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

Pets stores have de-skunking stuff. It uses enzymes or something to neutralize the odor. Worked better than tomato juice on my dog. Could be worth a shot.
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

That Pet Store stuff is called "Nature's Miracle." It is good stuff.

The other thing I would suggest is making sure you don't have any dead mice in places you haven't checked. Don't ask me how i know this...
MikeD
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

Yup! That's the stuff.
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
One Way David
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Post by One Way David »

There is also Resolve. Made for not-so -house trained house pets.

Painting? My mom's house had a particular corner that the two tom cats liked to use to prove male superiority. That was 20 years and at least 4 paint jobs ago. I still smell it on certain humid days. BTW, that skunk stuff is mainly Oxiclean.
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.
mitiempo
Boat Name: Mi Tiempo
Boat Type: Canadian Sailcraft CS27

Post by mitiempo »

I looked at some pictures of a few Sailmasters on the web and can't really tell, but does it have any kind of a liner? If so I think the smell may be coming from where you can't easily clean. Bleach(which shouldn't damage the fibreglass) should remove most any smell unless the surface is very porous.
Brian
Tom Javor
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Pandalus
Boat Type: 1964 Sailmaster 22D hull #3

liner question

Post by Tom Javor »

Not sure about later boats but mine,a 1964, is fully open below with the exception of unde the vee berth. For some odd reason the vee does not have any access (yet!)for stowage. It's tabbed right into the hull so I don't see where the wretches could have gotten into. There are inspection ports on either side which I'll pop open to look inside of - but they appear tight.

My current thought is that they had settled into a seton of the bilge and with all the cleaning etc I may have put the dried out urine back into some sort of solution .......... More bleach - this time into the bilge.....

And we had TORRENTIAL rain here in southern New England last night - my rain guage shows a total of 2.30 inches in the last 24 hours....
TJ