Mast Raising.

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Oscar
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Mast Raising.

Post by Oscar »

I am getting closer....... now working on a mast raising setup. On the trailer, ama's folded. It needs two things, a fulcrum and stabilization. Because of the mast foot design it needs to come up from forward to aft. There's a nice support on the post on the trailer that will support it laying clear of the bow pulpit, with the bottom of the mast in the foot, hinge pin installed. (It gets removed afterwards as it is a pivoting mast).

I am using the boom as a fulcrum, with the halyard to the end and the main sheet as purchase. It needs side to side stabilization. Also the mast on it's way up needs side to side stabilization. The key is that these stabilizing lines (steel wires with thimbles and snap shackles) attach to a point in line and in plane square to the pivot at the bottom of the mast. This ensures that the required length stays the same on the way up.

Now, the problem is that this point is well above the cabin top, and that mounting anything there, like a chain plate would require drilling holes, and more importantly, would leave a trip or stabbing hazard on deck. So, I came up with the idea to have a steel ring there, which is held by two wire lines that go to existing mounting points on the floats.

The way I see this, these multiple triangles keep each other in tension all the way up. It would take seconds to install and remove. Once the mast is up, the forward shrouds tension, as well as the headstay. The halyard/boom/sheet would tie it down until I get the running backs on and voila...... I think this should work, unless I'm missing something. Any comments?

Out there, alone, there is only truth.
One Way David
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Pearson Ensign

Re: Mast Raising.

Post by One Way David »

Being a trailer sailor sometimes, I'm always interested in getting the mast up alone. I've stared at your drawing for about 30 min and like it. One question is what is the mast going to use as a fulcrum? Down by the goose neck and the deck. will the base of the mast be attached to the mast step? I guess it will have to be or it will slide aft. Dave.
Never finish all your projects or you'll be bored.
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

will the base of the mast be attached to the mast step
Yes. I have a setup there which supports the mast when up, and provides a hinge pin when lowering/raising. You have to have something to attach the mast base to and have it pivot. If you don't there are plenty of off the shelf tabernacles out there.
Robert The Gray

Post by Robert The Gray »

the only difficulty I see is that if your steel rings are the least bit off they will bind. some give in the system may be helpful, Nylon rope for the steel ring supports? it will stretch a bit but still hold it all together.

r
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
Oscar

Post by Oscar »

Not a bad idea. I was going to use thimbles on the four lines that ride the ring, but nylon could work too. Advantage of steel wire with snap shackles is that once you DO get it dialed in, it stays put.