what type of wood glue?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
triton 496
Bottom Paint Application Technician

what type of wood glue?

Post by triton 496 »

Hello to everyone,
Well here is another question pertaining to bonding of teak or mahogany woods. I am building a wooden hatch and would like to glue the corners together, but from what I understand teak is a wood that has natural oil in the grain, so would that inhibit the bonding that glue would provide? As to the bonding agent would a common wood glue do the job or should epoxy be used instead? Any thoughts from experience would be greatly appreciated. Tanks, Al.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: what type of wood glue?

Post by Hirilondë »

Epoxy is unequivocally the best choice. If you clean the mating surfaces with acetone just prior to the glue up there should be no problem. Yes, teak is naturally oily. That is why it survives so long in the marine environment. But if it is cleaned with a solvent just prior to application, and acetone is the best choice, then epoxy, varnish, paint, or what ever will stick just fine.

Because so many have tried making glued joints without cleaning and have therefore had the joint fail, teak joinery now has an undue reputation for being difficult or even impossible to glue.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
okawbow
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Thursdays' Child
Boat Type: Privateer 26 Schooner

Post by okawbow »

Mahagony glues well with titebond 2 and 3. Some epoxies are better than others for gluing oily woods like teak. Be carefull with clamping when using epoxy. Don't use too much pressure, and if you apply pressure, and have to release it to re-align, then you need to re-apply the glue, or you will have a starved glue joint. The better the fit, the stronger the joint.
Chuck
1976 Bristol 24
"Harmony"
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

I have heard that resorcinol could be a better choice for critical applications, like gluing up a spruce mast.
Then I saw a reference to "resorcinol epoxy", so I'm not sure how much difference there is.

As far as gluing the corners of a hatch, though, I'm sure Dave's experience trumps my hearsay ;)
I'd stick screws in each corner, just on general principle ("belt and suspenders").

For what it's worth, here's a detailed article on the subject.
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

To eliminate confusion:

Resorcinol is not epoxy. Epoxy is not resorcinol.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane

Post by Hirilondë »

Resourcinol would be an acceptable choice as well, but few could live with the purple seam. And like Tim noted, it isn't related to epoxy in any way.

I'm not sure what that article proves. Concordias are notorious for delaminating frames. But you have to consider all of the possible reasons, not just blame epoxy. Not the least of the problems with Concordias being that they were planked too tight. Those with steam bent frames had them broken. We can get into a long and detailed debate here and we would still prove nothing just like that article (yes, I read it).

Epoxy has proven itself over and again. It like everything is not perfect, nor is every application of it. If anyone wants a 100% guarantee that their application will last forever then just give up now. I will continue to use epoxy and use care to assure my joints are fit, cleaned and appropriately assembled and clamped.

I see little to nothing to gain by intellectual debate.
Dave Finnegan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
triton 496
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Post by triton 496 »

Ok, epoxy seems to be the preferred method for bonding teak and mahogany woods with screw or two thrown in for good measure!
As always I am humbled by the huge amount of seasoned knowledge offered here at this forum and thank you for your time. All the Best, Al
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

That 'article' is also Appendix C in Larry Pardey's Book, Details of Classic Boat Construction (a great book). There was some discussion of it here
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Bluenose
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Post by Bluenose »

Duncan wrote:I have heard that resorcinol could be a better choice for critical applications, like gluing up a spruce mast.
Then I saw a reference to "resorcinol epoxy", so I'm not sure how much difference there is.

As far as gluing the corners of a hatch, though, I'm sure Dave's experience trumps my hearsay ;)
I'd stick screws in each corner, just on general principle ("belt and suspenders").

For what it's worth, here's a detailed article on the subject.
Back when bonded joints were replacing bolts and rivets on airplanes we used to call them "chicken" fasteners. Cause we was a'scared of bonded only primary joints. It really made little sense since bonded joints are much stiffer than bolted joints (which often need to move a bit to take the load) so the bolts pretty much go along for the ride unless the bond fails (which is what we were worried about I guess). Also, it wasn't so much that we didn't trust adhesives it was just that it was difficult to lay down a proper (read thin) glue line and then inspect it so you knew you had one. The thickness of the glue line has a major effect on the strength of the joint.

With respect to the quoted article, when I was an Aerospace engineer (and probably still today) epoxy resin was our default choice. Graphite epoxy when we needed strength and fiberglass when we needed lower cost. In all cases we used something called prepreg which is a product which encase the graphite or fiberglass in an exact amount resin to get the proper resin ratio. The reason this important is that allows you to produce very tight tolerance parts. With all do respect to the "well known and respected yacht builders" they would be building to a different set of tolerances. This could cause a situation where the epoxy is required to be a joint filler in addition to being a bonding agent. There is a big difference between a adhesive failure and a joint failure. Parts of this article seem to blame the adhesive while claiming the builder is qualified. If a builder incorporates an epoxy joint and it fails they are responsible. Since epoxy is more than capable to make graphite composites, which are far stronger than anything on a boat, then any failure is due to improper design or assembly.

In my perfect world it would be bolts (not screws) in any tension or peal applications and glue in shear or torsion. And, this is really going to get me in trouble, screws in fiberglass really seem wrong to me.

Bill
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane

Post by Hirilondë »

Bluenose wrote:
In my perfect world it would be bolts (not screws) in any tension or peal applications and glue in shear or torsion.
In situations where loads are high and/or failure is catastrophic I would agree. Some applications have lesser loads, and failure is merely a nuisance. Epoxy is used because it is most likely sufficient and it looks good to avoid fasteners and their cover ups (bungs, etc.).
Bluenose wrote:There is a big difference between a adhesive failure and a joint failure. Parts of this article seem to blame the adhesive while claiming the builder is qualified. If a builder incorporates an epoxy joint and it fails they are responsible. Since epoxy is more than capable to make graphite composites, which are far stronger than anything on a boat, then any failure is due to improper design or assembly.
I believe you are quite right.
Dave Finnegan
boatsnh
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: IRIS
Boat Type: Dickerson 36 Ketch

Post by boatsnh »

I used teak & epoxy to remake both the cabin hatches on "IRIS". dimensions are about 22x24 inches. I did wipe with acetone & did not use any screws at all. Bought a dado blade kit for the table saw and made finger jointed corners (not dovetailed). The finger joints were cut so there was enought room to keep epoxy in the joint so they were not glue starved. Lap joints would also work pretty good too, but have less surface area for the glue to "bite" into. .....Epoxied frames look nice, and no fasteners/bungs in the corners to worry about. For the top I used 1/2 inch acrylic in a "bronze" tint that matches the color of the teak - I have grown to like the color a lot. Matches the teak color & It keeps the cabin bright, but not blindingly so & it allows you to see out, but is pretty hard to see in. Nice for a little privacy with folks walking around on deck, or at a dock. I got the 1/2 acrylic idea from Shannon Yachts - that's what they used when they fabricated teak hatches for their boats, although theirs were translucent white. You can google shannon and see some examples. I also
ran the acrylic out to the edge of the hatch & rounded & polished the acrylic. Easy to finish & no issues with sealing from the weather. Good luck!