New Mainsail quote

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

New Mainsail quote

Post by Duncan »

I have a quote from Neil Pryde, but it's enough money that I think it's worth checking around for other experience/recommendations before I commit.

Re sailmakers:
1) Are there any significant differences among the major North American sailmakers, or are they all likely to be just about the same (in terms of quality, service, value, etc.)?
2) Is the "Rolly Tasker" Thai factory a viable option? Do they offer the same quality, just on a more economical cost base?

Re specifications:
a) I'm looking for enough strength to be good for the North Atlantic (in case I sail to Newfoundland), but not necessarily as bulletproof as for a two-year circumnavigation. So far the recommendation is "6.5 oz Challenge 6.63 HA HM", triple-stitched and extra reinforcement.

b) Two reefs + shelf/flattener, jacklines, cunningham

c) Semi-full battens

d) "Tradewinds" specs.
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Tom Javor
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Pandalus
Boat Type: 1964 Sailmaster 22D hull #3

quotes

Post by Tom Javor »

When was recently looking at a boat that required sails I used www.sailquotes.com , got 6 quotes from US lofts with minimal fuss.
It was a quick easy way to check general pricing etc. As I recall you can
get fairly specific on the quote request.

Tom
TJ
Duncan
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

Thanks, Tom, via your link, I got a quote from North already!
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Oscar
Boat Name: Lady Kay IV
Boat Type: 1990 Dragonfly 25

Post by Oscar »

Allez Duncan, c'est vous?
Out there, alone, there is only truth.
boatsnh
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: IRIS
Boat Type: Dickerson 36 Ketch

new Main Sail

Post by boatsnh »

H Duncan,

I see that you are north of the border - I'd give a shout to ShoreLine Sails out of Toronto - they distribute the Rolly Tasker line. Wayne is the contact there. I had them make a complete set of sails (main, mizzen & 135 ) for my ketch & am very pleased with the cut, workmanship & fit/finish. We have the 2 + 2 configuration & find it does control the sail a bit more and
is worth it. I find it quiets the sail & eliminates most of the flogging.

I was able to specify Challenge HA cloth for & a special headboard. Very pleased by the sails. Triple stiched, leather reinforced, Rings in corners and heavy batten pockets - draft stripes & lots of tell tales. I was very pleased by the quality.

FWIW: I've got 2 brothers with boats - One brother had Neil Pryde on his Cal 2-30 8 years ago and was pleased with them - He put Doyle on his (new to him) Cal 39 because he wanted a Stack Pack - Nice sails. Another brother recently had a local (Harding Sails in Massachusetts) loft build his Main but he did not want to measure & angst about fit - and the loft did a great job repairing his Jib & will make him a "custom fit" cover as part of the package. The harding loft was priced below Doyle, but above Pryde - Right in the middle - with lots of service in the equation.

Me, I got a lot of sails for a price below Neil Pryde & I do not mind the effort to measure & there is no sail loft in NH anyway......
ddsailor25
Deck Grunge Scrubber

New sails

Post by ddsailor25 »

I just ordered sails through North sails. The guys in Salem Ma were extremely helpful and knowledgable.
1968 Bristol 29
jollyboat
Boat Name: Jollyboat
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: New Mainsail quote

Post by jollyboat »

removed
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter