What would you check out?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Challenger949L
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: ESPADON Kittiwake
Boat Type: Sabre 28, Alden Challenger

What would you check out?

Post by Challenger949L »

I bought a 1981 Sabre 28 with an MD7A ( while the Alden Challenger project moves along slowly) I plan to sail it from Rock Hall MD to Yorktown VA in Early June. It is on the hard and 4 hours away from my house. I know I want to paint the bottom. What are the things you would check out and or do before such a trip?
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

Congratulations! Sabre 28 is a great boat.

This is my opinion of what you should check:
A little depends on how long it was on the hard. If it was only one year, not too much to worry about. If more, have the fuel checked. Diesel does go bad over time. Check all the through hulls. Make sure they work and appear to be in good condition. Check all the hoses that connect to the through hulls, they tend to deteriorate over time. Check operation of the bilge pumps. You should have a minimum of one electric and one manual (Jesus) pump. A survey should have answered most of this already.

Standard boat gear
Start and run the diesel. Verify ALL the lights work and the VHF. Take a hand held VHF and a hand held GPS. Also a good anchor with plenty of rode.

Safety Gear
Compass, foghorn, radar reflector, flares.

Finally, an alternate means to get home if all else fails (dingy-motor optional)

Best of luck - When do you plan on taking the trip?
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

How long was she out of service? The longer, the more to check. Add to the list: battery terminals and adjacent wire. Set screws and shaft flange bolts. Shaft seal. Prop nuts. Engine mounts. Engine zincs (if any). Water pump and spares. Fuel filter and spares. And more filter spares.

I don't recognise the house in the background or any of the boats, but you cannot be far from Swan Creek Marina; off of 20, drive in New Road, through the fallen gates; Quetzal is about the 6th boat on the right. Stop in, but no sooner than next weekend. (You may recall that Challengers were on our lust list before we found our NE 38.)
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Let me rephrase what I meant by checking stuff in the never-never lands of the boat. You're putting yourself in there, not just to look at the listed items but to notice other things while you're there. Who knows what 'oh, sh**s' you may find, or what you'd add to the list for later.
Duncan
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

I looked closely at the Sabre 28 last year, and was impressed.

The Sabre site has a nice set of engineering notes on various fixes and modifications. You might want to print them out and keep them in a binder, just in case something comes up.

Have you considered replacing the standing rigging, or has this been done recently? It's a modest expense, considering the peace of mind it could bring.

I saw one Sabre 28 with rot in the main cabin bulkhead (from chainplate leaks), so that might be another thing to check before you set out.

Congratulations, good luck!
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Challenger949L
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: ESPADON Kittiwake
Boat Type: Sabre 28, Alden Challenger

Post by Challenger949L »

It has been out of the water for the winter season, but it stayed in it's slip and was not sailed last year. It is currently at The Sailing Emporium marina in Rock Hall.
Jimmy
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

This might be slipping into the "what to bring for the trip" category instead of the "what to check out beforehand" one, but I can't seem to get them to separate. That's because I started by thinking "Check out the spares inventory," and it morphed from there because some of these things might be on the boat already or if not would be on the bring-along list.

Check cotter pins/turnbuckles, etc. in standing rigging
Look over rudder/check steering
Check out water in main tank or supply own
See how/if rode is attached to boat at bitter end
Check out chafe guard situation if rode is rope (at roller/chock)
Check out lifelines

Check to see if onboard or otherwise consider supplying:
Alternator, belt(s), fuel filter(s)
Hose, clamps, wire, bungs for seacocks/through-hulls/hammer
Duct/electrical tape, Marine Tex, Zip ties, headlamp
Handheld VHF, Handheld GPS
Dinghy with outboard for alternative power,fenders and lines for connection of to main boat.

Rachel
jhenson

Post by jhenson »

How about spare impellers? I may have a couple of spares for the MD7A if you need them.

Joe