Anchor Size

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Popeye1865
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Anchor Size

Post by Popeye1865 »

I searched a little but turned up empty handed. I know there has been some information posted about anchor sizes but i can't find it. Well i'm looking for everyone's input on anchor size for a Triton. I Know it depends on the conditions of the wind sea and bottom, but feel free to post all that info. i need to purchase a few anchors for my ride so fill me in on the size brand and other useful combination of chain/rope you like.
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

NnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooOOOOOO!!!!!

Talking about ground tackle on this forum is forbidden. It ALWAYS turns into an argument with tons of useless, nonsensical information, being bandied about.

There are several older threads on the forum that have already said all that there is to say about ground tackle.

Please. Don't go there. (again)
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

But you are allowed to search for, and read, the older threads ;)
Maine Sail
Skilled Systems Installer

I use..

Post by Maine Sail »

I use an old cinder block and some clothes line... Wink! I echo what the other guys said search the archives anchor threads never go well...
-Maine Sail

Canadian Sailcraft 36T
Casco Bay, ME
http://www.marinehowto.com
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Here's a search that will yield a page with some of the classics:

1) Type the following into the search box: anchor chain size

2) Change to the "all terms" radio button from the "any terms" radio button

3) Click on the search button

4) Peruse!
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Re: I use..

Post by Hirilondë »

Maine Sail wrote:I use an old cinder block and some clothes line...
Bah, a cast iron radiator and sash chord beats that hands down!
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

I prefer using window weights. That way you can adjust how much holding power you have by calculating what you need and adding or subtracting weights.

EDIT:
It has been bothering be all day. While 99.9% of the people that read this forum understand just how much of a joke this is.... to eliminate any misinterpretation let me be clear that I was joking in my reference to the use of an adjustable number of sash weights to anchor a full keel sailboat in salt water. The only thing I would use for ANY boat in salt water is one or more purpose built quality anchors with the appropriate amount of chain and rode.
Last edited by LazyGuy on Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

An advantage to sash weights is that if it's not quite heavy enough, you can add lead washers to the cord.

Best anchoring protocol I witnessed was the old fiberglass runabout with 6 drunks who wished to watch the July 4 fireworks in Annapolis. Their tackle was a somewhat oversized danforth and 15' of line. They could not understand why the boat would not stay put in 14' of water. Happily, they drifted off to leeward and missed everybody.

Perhaps a little advice: read the West Marine catalog; read any decent how-to boating book. Look at all the other boats in your marina. Think about where you will be anchoring. Buy a little on the large side of the recommendations. Don't buy the latest, unheard-of brand. Don't buy the cheepie knock-off.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

For my little wooden rowboat, I actually did use a "knock-off." That is, it was the plug that was knocked off when they installed my (land) holding tank. The concrete plug with a wire-loop handle pre-cast in the top served as a dandy anchor. It also held the stern of the boat away from my tie-up point on shore (a long-fallen tree).

It was never left to its own devices though; always had adult (or dockline) supervision.

R.

Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

R,

I think that's a knock-out, not technically a knock-off.

Kudos for recycling!

D