Making a Sea Swing Bracket

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Making a Sea Swing Bracket

Post by Duncan »

I've just bought a Bremer Sea Swing with Primus stove in it, which was just what I was looking for.
(Thanks, Rachel, for the inspiration on this).

As you can see, though, it's missing the bracket:

Here's a photo of one with a bracket:

The bracket appears to be a square base, which has a sleeve attached. There's a setscrew on the sleeve (which I believe would line up with the groove on the pin).

Since I don't have a machine shop (or any kind of shop), I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a simple way to design and fabricate a new bracket?
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Is that a white gas stove? It looks a lot like my Svea 123 backpacking stove. Now you have me thinking about how to rig a gimbal for that, curse you! :)
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Re: Making a Sea Swing Bracket

Post by Case »

Duncan wrote:I've just bought a Bremer Sea Swing with Primus stove in it, which was just what I was looking for.
(Thanks, Rachel, for the inspiration on this).

As you can see, though, it's missing the bracket:

Here's a photo of one with a bracket:

The bracket appears to be a square base, which has a sleeve attached. There's a setscrew on the sleeve (which I believe would line up with the groove on the pin).

Since I don't have a machine shop (or any kind of shop), I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a simple way to design and fabricate a new bracket?

Oarlock socket? Turn it upside down then drill & tap a hole in the side for a thumbscrew so the stove doesn't pop out of the oarlock socket.

Just a thought.

- Case
Bluenose
Boat Name: Bolero
Boat Type: Modified Shields One Design

Post by Bluenose »

Oarlock socket? Turn it upside down then drill & tap a hole in the side for a thumbscrew so the stove doesn't pop out of the oarlock socket.

Just a thought.

- Case
What a clever idea.
Triton 185
Boat Type: O'day Mariner, Pearson Triton

Post by Triton 185 »

I think you could easily make a mount out of a block of aluminum or hardwood. Either material would be easy to drill and tap.
"The more you know, the less you need."
Yvon Chouinard
Robert The Gray

Post by Robert The Gray »

It looks like the large rod with the groove is one of the pivots for the four way gimble. You will want to think of the end of the set screw sliding around the groove of the rod without much resistance. so I guess it is not really a set screw but more of a pin/guide. The end should be smoothed of threads so as to not interfere with the pivot of the rod. If you can get to the back of the mounting then a spring clip to keep the pin from sliding out would work as well. All the pin/screw does is keep the stove from sliding out. They might have designed it to lock the stove down but I do not know. Depending on what you cook, pigs or popcorn, and the pot size looks limited by the stove, very hard wood may work as well as metal. Layers of lingham vitae, or cocobolo, could be milled. A stanchion base with an inner sleeve may be stronger in four directions rather than two like the oarlock. shove a 1" hardwood dowel in there and then drill it out at the right diameter. That pin looks kinda beefy as well it might not fit in the standard oar lock. no offense case i hope, i just took your idea one step further.

cheers

r
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
Bluenose

Post by Bluenose »

It looks like the large rod with the groove is one of the pivots for the four way gimble. You will want to think of the end of the set screw sliding around the groove of the rod without much resistance. so I guess it is not really a set screw but more of a pin/guide.
Robert's description nailed how the sea swing stove's side to side pivot works. All I can add is a few pictures of the bracket and the retaining screw from my stove.

I do think that the oar lock idea could really work. Actually I would like to have a storage mount for my stove so I am going work on this idea as well.

Here is an oar lock inserted into the sea swing bracket. The fit looks like it will work fine.

Ric in Richmond
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Andiamo
Boat Type: Alberg 35

Post by Ric in Richmond »

WAIT!!!!

I think I have a bracket!!!

And I am never going to use a sea swing stove on my boat....

edit...I dug though all my photos and I can't find one of the mount but I know it is an aluminum bracket with a knob. If I can remove it without leaving an ugly mess I will send it to you.

I won't be down to the boat until NEXT weekend at the earliest.

Ric
Ric Bergstrom

http://andiamoadventures.blogspot.com/

Archived old blog:

http://andiamo35.blogspot.com/

~~~~~([\~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~([\~~([\~~~~~~
~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~([\~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Duncan
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Wow - excellent

Post by Duncan »

OK, wow, I am overwhelmed! Free hot soup or stew or chili for all you guys, thanks very much!

It's amazing, but it turns out that the vendor of this piece is one of my old college buddies from 30+ years ago. Small world!

Whew!

Thanks to this community, and (in reverse) order:
If I can remove it without leaving an ugly mess I will send it to you.
Wow, that would be great - thanks very much - I have a teak cupholder I could trade? Thanks, again.
Here is an oar lock inserted into the sea swing bracket. The fit looks like it will work fine.
Wow, you couldn't be more helpful than that! The concept looks excellent.
A stanchion base with an inner sleeve may be stronger
Yes, and your idea of having a bushing inside it suggests a number of advantages (e.g. pragmatism, flexibility)

Just a thought.
Way more than 'just a thought' - thanks - that's elegant.
Is that a white gas stove? It looks a lot like my Svea 123 backpacking stove. Now you have me thinking about how to rig a gimbal for that, curse you! :)
No, it's kerosene - I said "Primus", but I think it's actually an Optimus 45. And I agree with you, I think the idea of camping stoves fits in very well with cruising.

Thanks, again, all. This has gone from being a questionable project to an elegant solution, all in one day. Merci Beaucoup, as we say up here!
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Brodie
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Starry Night
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 30

Post by Brodie »

THAT'S what that weird aluminum thing was in my boat when I bought it! I had no idea what the heck it was, and I'm pretty sure it went in the trash (it was very corroded).

Thanks for solving a long standing mystery!
Bluenose

Post by Bluenose »

and I'm pretty sure it went in the trash
The entire Sea Swing stove community just cringed :)
Brodie
Master Varnisher
Boat Name: Starry Night
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 30

Post by Brodie »

Sorry....it really was a mess, all corroded and pretty nasty looking. The boat was full of a lot of old stuff (the boat being 43 years old at the time), but I did keep a nice bronze manual bilge pump that someone later told me might be a Herreshoff type. Does that make it a little better?
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Brodie wrote:but I did keep a nice bronze manual bilge pump that someone later told me might be a Herreshoff type. Does that make it a little better?
Sure, if you're not the guy with the Sea Swing ;)
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

I've been planning on using a shoulder bearing for my pivot...

But then again, mainly for the giggle of having a roller bearing installed on a... stove?

Grin!

Zach
1961 Pearson Triton
http://pylasteki.blogspot.com/
1942 Coast Guard Cutter - Rebuild
http://83footernoel.blogspot.com/
Bluenose

Post by Bluenose »

Rachel wrote:
Brodie wrote:but I did keep a nice bronze manual bilge pump that someone later told me might be a Herreshoff type. Does that make it a little better?
Sure, if you're not the guy with the Sea Swing ;)
Rachel,

I just love reading your posts. Love your sense of humor.

Bill
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Oh I'm just a piker compared to Britton and Figment ;^)
kgs113
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by kgs113 »

Speaking of Sea Swings I have one without the stove. What stoves will fit into this neat little unit? I also have this little piece. What is it used for?

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc25 ... CF7680.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc25 ... CF7682.jpg

Btw it came with a 1970 Cal 25. Got to get it set up for weekends away.

Thanks for any info.
Kevin
Lydia S
Bottom Sanding Grunt
Boat Name: Sally G

Post by Lydia S »

Kevin,
That is the flame intensifier for use with Sterno cans ( do they still sell Sterno?)
My original Sea Swing c.1969 was for Sterno only.
Rudy
Case

Post by Case »

Sterno is still alive and well. I even have new Sterno cans from a year ago or so.

They're more likely found in stores that cater to, well caterers and restaurants. Can be found at Walmart and the like but not that common...

- Case
kgs113
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by kgs113 »

Does the sterno put out decent heat? Coffee pot or espresso maker will probably be its intended purpose. I don't think pancakes and eggs for 8 is in the cards!
s/v Faith
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: s/v 'Faith'
Boat Type: 1964 Pearson Ariel (#226)

Post by s/v Faith »

kgs113 wrote:Does the sterno put out decent heat? Coffee pot or espresso maker will probably be its intended purpose. I don't think pancakes and eggs for 8 is in the cards!
Rose an I used our sterno Sea Swing as our second burner (and underway burner) on our cruise last year.

It does not get as hot as other fuels, but works well for coffee, or a bit of soup. I like that since Sterno is alcohol based, it generally won't burn things if you let them cook a bit too long like you may tend to do when underway.

I found Sterno was readily available, and several brands of imitation Sterno that had nice features like screw on lids and longer burn times.

I would not recommend it as your primary cooking source (you will be waiting a LONG time for those pancakes) but we found it to be a valid back up.
1964 Pearson Ariel #226
'Faith' (the Triton's little sister)

Referred by;

www.sailfar.net

and

www.pearsonariel.org