Removing Tape

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Marshall Wright
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: s/v Sunset
Boat Type: Pacific Seacraft 25T

Removing Tape

Post by Marshall Wright »

I had posted a question seeking advice on removing tape that I had left on too long. In my case much too long. FWIW, a technique that worked for me.

Use Gunk Off. I quickly bought a quart of xylene, its primary ingrediant. Apply liberally with a small brush to soak. Reapply after several minutes. Then spray with 3M adhesive remover. The 3M product does not work by itself. In fact, its only use appears to greatly slow the evaporation rate of the xylene which evaporated so quickly it has a hard time getting to the adhesive through the waxy paper of the tape. Let sit for 5 minutes and use a new, sharp razorblade to remove the bulk of the tape on flat surfaces. I used a small piece of sharpened fiberglass board to scrap the tape from rounded and OGEE shaped deck areas where I couldn't safely use the blade. This will expose the last of the adhesive. Reapply more xylene, a foot at a time, and immediately remove with a piece of very fine steel wool dipped in xylene. Works like a charm.

Take appropriate steps to product your health from the xylene and your boat from the steel wool. I"d have used bronze wool but couldn't find any fine enough to not damage my gelcoat. Found some words of caution regarding xylene and fiberglass but I had no problems.

Marshall
Marshall Wright
Annapolis, MD
1977 Pacific Seacraft 25
earlylight
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Early Light
Boat Type: 1982 Sabre 34 MK I

Post by earlylight »

Yikes !!!!! Steel wool? We had a fellow who had the boatyard do an awlgrip job on his decks, coachroof and cockpit and several weeks later he used steel wool for something or other on deck and the next day when he arrived back at his boat, he had rust spots ALL OVER the place. The dew had turned his gorgeous paint job into a total disaster. It looked like the boat had chickenpox. He ended up having to remove all his deck hardware again and they had to sand the boat again and shoot two more coats of awlgrip to the tune of about 6000 dollars. I hope you have better luck than he did.
Dick Coerse
Early Light
Sabre 34 MK1
Solomons MD

http://earlylight160.net76.net
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Case »

Steel Wool is a...

BAD IDEA.

Better not to risk it again even though there was no problems in the past. I really cringed at the mention of steel wool.

In my case, just using straight razor to scrape the worst off then rubbing a rag soaked with paint thinner removed all of the tape residue. I repeated this step a few times as necessary (this was the hard part, really annoying). Never needed any type of wool, steel or bronze. Its also a good idea to sand the edges of the straight razor so to reduce the chances of gouging the gelcoat or paint.

- Case
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

earlylight wrote:Yikes !!!!! Steel wool?
Case wrote:Steel Wool is a...

BAD IDEA.
My sentiments exactly.

I hope you don't have a disastrous situation like the one recounted above, but even if you don't this time for some reason, keep the steel wool in your kitchen where it belongs and don't press your luck.

For future reference, fine bronze wool (#00) is widely available. Google brings up many good sources.
Last edited by Tim on Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Somehow scratching paint or gel in the interest of cleanliness...

Anyway, if driven to such an abrasive, how about bronze wool? I'm not so sure it comes in all the levels of fineness that the steel does, mine's pretty coarse.
Al
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by Al »

I've successfully used Goof Off and the new plastic razor blades to remove pretty tough glue and tape residue.
Al Lorman
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Al wrote:I've successfully used Goof Off and the new plastic razor blades to remove pretty tough glue and tape residue.
Those plastic blades don't work for everything, but they definitely have their place. Worth a try.

BTW, 3M adhesive remover uses xylene, but diluted with other stuff to reduce the evaporation rate.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

I've had good luck with Xylol which, I believe, is the singular form of Xylene, and is available at the hardware store. The evaporation rate is about the same as paint thinner and it works very well as an adhesive remover and does not mess up Awlgrip. It is a fairly strong solvent so you need to take the usual precautions.