Help Un-Stepping Mast - Cal25

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
cmartin
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Help Un-Stepping Mast - Cal25

Post by cmartin »

Hello All

The mast beam in my Cal25 is sagging a little and I'm debating dropping the mast to replace it. The Cal25 forum is pretty dead, hopefully some one hear can help.

There is some obvious sagging in the beam, but how much is too much? I dont want to take on a job if it's not really needed, but also dont want to put of a potentially serious issue. Is there a rule of thumb, or should I just replace it?

If I decide on replacement, is stepping the mast something I should attempt, or should I man up and pay a marina? There is a good how to on the alberg30 site, http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/Spa ... ppingMast/ . Any other recommendations out there? It seems reasonable to build a similar rig from from 2x4's, some plywood and then a few blocks and some line.

This sounds like one of those things that seems difficult before you do it, but then it's pretty routine. Am I over thinking this?

My boat is in the water currently, and I would like to keep it that way if possible.

Thanks for any ideas!
Robert The Gray
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Robert The Gray »

c,

my initial thoughts. Removing the mast is a straight forward rigging problem. In the link you showed the A frame was made of a more robust material than 2 x 4's, but then again your mast is smaller. The A frame allows the mast to be suspended free between the legs and then lowered, ensure any plywood gussets do not interfere. Their step by step process is well thought out as long as one does not skip or consolidate steps without experience. Make sure you have somewhere to put the mast once down, it's longer than the boat. I would not attempt alone.

Several questions as far as if the beam should be replaced. In looking at interior photos of the Cal 25, the beam seams to be encased in the headliner and trim. Can you determine if the beam changed over time? Do you sail your in high winds with high loads? Can you see any cracks in the beam itself? What is the beam made of? Is is encased in fiberglass? Is it easy to replace? I hope this helps direct your thoughts. This site is all about intelligently diving in and givin' it a go. So just taking the mast down can be fun.

r
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
forrest
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Ophelia
Boat Type: Pearson Renegade

Post by forrest »

In my experience, the most important aspect of dropping or raising a mast is having a sufficient number of warm bodies. A Cal 25 doesn't have a whole lot of mast, so as long as you think it out and plan well there is no reason it can't be an easy stress-free experience.

As to the sag in your beam, it's hard to assess with out seeing a picture.
Ronin120
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by Ronin120 »

cmartin,

As a former owner of a Cal 25 (and still racing on them...) I'm pretty familiar with dropping the mast. Not a very difficult job depending on where your boat is located. My boat was(is) at a dock which contains about 12 Cal25's but that isn't really necessary. What would be nice is if you have a boat on either side of you that will let you use their spinnaker or jib halyards briefly. If you just run them around the base of your spreaders, unbolt the rigging, lift the mast just a little with the halyards while someone controls the base of the mast it comes down quite nicely.

If not, well that's trickier.

Also, I completely rebuilt the overhead and the mast support beam. I have some instructions that I wrote up years ago and can email them to you if you wish. Again, not as bad a job as you may think.

Best.
Dave
1982 C&C 37 - under reconstruction
1988 Mako 26 CC - don't laugh, it needs work too.
1970's vintage Snipe
1970 Islander 37 - sold
1968 Cal 25 - sold but still racing...

Wave Man
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Ronin120 wrote:My boat was(is) at a dock which contains about 12 Cal25's but that isn't really necessary
Thank goodness, as that can't be very common ;)
Ronin120

Post by Ronin120 »

Rachel wrote: (I can't get the HTML right on this....)
Thank goodness, as that can't be very common ;)
Anyway, yeah, now that you point it out, that does sound a bit odd doesn't it? :-o

In Annapolis it's referred to as Cal 25 Row. Scroll down to the last picture in my latest post and you'll see most of them in all their faded glory!

Cheers!
Dave
1970's vintage Snipe
1970 Islander 37 - sold

Wave Man
cmartin

Post by cmartin »

Thanks, good info. I'll try to get to the boat for a photo of the beam in the next few days.

Thanks for the encouragement. Sometimes I get in over my head, hopefully this time I'll be at least somewhat prepared.
Cal 25 Row
I was down there a few weekends ago. I'm just far enough away to make weekday races a hike. Besides, my boat handling skills stink!
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Ronin120 wrote: (I can't get the HTML right on this....)
The correct protocol for quoting a specific person, if you are choosing not to quote their entire post, is this. The key is the = sign, and the person's name in quotations.

Code: Select all

[quote="Person"]Cut and paste the relevant portion you wish to quote.[/quote]
Following this code protocol will make the quote display in this manner:
Person wrote:Cut and paste the relevant portion you wish to quote.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Ronin120

Post by Ronin120 »

Tim wrote:Following this code protocol will make the quote display in this manner:
Tim, thanks. I figured either you or Rachel would show me the way.

cmartin, I'll be back down at Cal 25 Row again this coming Sunday so if you're around I'm sure we can probably go on board my old boat and show you what's involved. Or I could go on just about any of the Cals there because they either need it done or have had it done.

PM me if you wish.

Cheers.
Dave
1970's vintage Snipe
1970 Islander 37 - sold

Wave Man
cmartin

Post by cmartin »

Finally a photo of my beam.

It's hard to capture the scale of the deflection in a photo, but safe to say there is some deflection.
Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

cmartin wrote:It's hard to capture the scale of the deflection in a photo, but safe to say there is some deflection.
There sure is. I can't see the spot with the pealing varnish well enough to say, but some type of failure is occurring. It seams that the beam is either delaminating of simply being crushed. A close up of the pealing spot after stripping the varnish will tell a lot more. Not sure it matters though, once a laminated beam fails, it needs replacing. Or at the least, sistering up after jacking up the cabin top to its original shape. Not so sure I like that idea though.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

If there was any doubt, it's time for replacement. That is a mess.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Robert The Gray
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by Robert The Gray »

that is a 2 knot wind max beam. change it out. time for a post in the projects heading!!!

r
Former Owner: Whisper, now Alma 1960 WC Triton
Whisper Projects
Daysailfilms
cmartin

Post by cmartin »

Looking back I wonder how close it was to failing. I've never been out in more than 15-18, but a few times the boat seemed to handled a little odd. I thought it was my bad sail trim.
David

Post by David »

Just curious: how tight is your rigging?
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

What is your definition of failing?
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

A really good article in the current Good Old Boat by folks who routinely drop a bigger boats' (CD 27) mast. Read it and steal the useful parts of their method. The biggest difference between you and them is the 'routine'. You can think of 'one off' solutions for their tabernacle and telescoping gin pole.

I agree with the others: it's time to do the work. Deflecting the deck merely damages more boat.
cmartin

Post by cmartin »

What is your definition of failing?
Good question. Short of dragging it home in the water I'm not sure.
it's time to do the work.
Yep. I just got what seems like a pretty fair quote on new standing rigging. The list begins.

Thanks for the recommendation on Good Old Boat, I'll check it out.