Tiller head play

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Henk
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Aurora
Boat Type: 1963 Islander 32

Tiller head play

Post by Henk »

Hello all,

After the refit of our boat, the Islander 32, there was one thing (okay, several things) I didn't fix/finish. One of them was the little bit of play of the tiller. Now that I've been sailing and using the tiller pilot, the play is becoming annoying. The rudder stock 1 1/2" (I think) and has a 1/4" key in it just like on a propellor shaft. The tiller-head assembly slides over it and voilla. Now it seems the 1/4" wide and 1/8" deep cut-out in the rudder stock is worn. I installed a new key and there is still some play. The end of the tiller, where my hand is, moves left to right about one inch without turning the rudder stock. Looking very closely I can see a tiny bit of movement between the tiller head and the shaft... My solution is to drill a 3/8" hole right through the tiller-head, the shaft, and out the other end. Use a 3/8" SS bolt and Bob's your uncle. However, nothing is ever easy. First of all that's more than 2" of solid bronze I need to drill through. Then there's the itty bitty problem of the hole needing to be drilled only 1" off the cockpit floor.
Does anybody have any ideas how to accomplish this feat?? What kind of drill and bit type should I use? Go at it by hand or use some sort of drill press? Cooling of the drill bit? Any other ideas how to fix this problem?

Thanks,
Henk.
David

Post by David »

<<The end of the tiller, where my hand is, moves left to right about one inch without turning the rudder stock.>>

Sounds like, if you can move the tiller head that easily, it may not be tight enough around the rudder post. Can you horse it down more? The key is there to prevent slippage in the highest torque events; the collar of the tiller head should be able to prevent slippage from most normal use.
Henk
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Henk »

Thanks David. I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll torque that tiller head until the bolt (almost) snaps. I always thought the key was there to prevent all movement. This would sure be the easiest solution. I'll know in 12 hours if it worked.
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

Henk wrote:...I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll torque that tiller head until the bolt (almost) snaps...
Careful, it's not that hard to snap off a bronze bolt (if that's what you have). I "gorilla'd" one last summer.
My problem was that the key was sticking up proud of the ruddershaft, preventing the tiller head from seating down on it all the way, but I doubt that is a common issue.

You might want to try shimming the keyway, since it may be worn a little?
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Can't picture the joint. Is there a pinch bolt to clamp the head to the shaft? Is there any space left to pinch a little tighter? If things have stretched a bit maybe a little clearance between the pinch needs to be sawn in. A little bronze shimstock or an oversized key might be necessary but only useful for the short term if the joint isn't tight.

I'm sure it isn't true here, but if the design is a little iffy for the ability to tighten things enough (like my bicycle seat post, or the table adjustments on my 'craftsman' saw) then a fairly small machine or sheet metal screw is often enough to calm things down. Drilling a honkin' bolt hole and achieving no movement means that the hole and the bolt are exactly the right size. Such a tight tolerance will become unwelcome when necessary to remove the bolt after a smidge of corrosion takes up the last little space.
JonnyBoats

Post by JonnyBoats »

My solution is to drill a 3/8" hole right through the tiller-head, the shaft
I would recommend against this.

It sounds like the keyway has been wallowed out in either your shaft or tiller head. The appropriate fix is to have the keyway squared up at a machine shop. If they need to make the keyway larger they can also provide you with a step key to fit the now enlarged keyway.
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us
Henk
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Henk »

Thanks for the ideas and possible solutions.
I went to the marina this morning to tighten that bolt once and for all. Brought lots of tools but not the 1/2 wrench that I needed... Good thing too, reading the replies.
Next time I will bring not only the right wrench, but also a hack-saw to create some more room for the tiller head to clamp onto the shaft. (Good idea, why didn't I think of that?) Of course knowing me, I'll then proceed to snap the bolt.
Duncan
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Post by Duncan »

Henk wrote:Next time I will bring not only the right wrench, but also a hack-saw to create some more room for the tiller head to clamp onto the shaft. (Good idea, why didn't I think of that?) Of course knowing me, I'll then proceed to snap the bolt.
Does that mean you have the same issue as I do (key sticks up above the rudderpost)?
In that case, I was advised to cut it off with a grinder - it might be slow work with a hacksaw.
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Henk
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Post by Henk »

It looks very similar to this

On the right side of the pic. is the key. It fits fine, too fine I guess. On the left side of the pic. is the bolt to clamp/squeeze/tighten the whole thing onto the shaft. I've tightened it, but there is no more room between those . But looking at this picture maybe I will use a grinder and make one pass between them. That should give me 1/8" extra space. Maybe this weekend.
Henk
Deck Grunge Scrubber

Victory

Post by Henk »

Hurray! Just came back from the marina. I used the grinder to make the opening bigger. Now it has 1/8th opening. Sure enough, the 'pincher bolt' tightened the tiller head right up. No more play on the tiller. Such an easy fix. That's probably why I couldn't come-up with an answer.
Thanks,
Henk.