Trying to identify a mainsail - "C270"

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Duncan
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Coquine
Boat Type: Cape Dory 27

Trying to identify a mainsail - "C270"

Post by Duncan »

I've been shipped a mainsail which turns out to be wrong for my Cape Dory 27, and I am trying to figure out what boat it was made for.

I can make out where there used to be insignia of "C270" (with the "270" projecting out the open end of the "C"). So far, on the basis of measurements, I've ruled out the Cape Dory 270 and also the Catalina 270.

It's 28' 5" in the luff, but only 9'7" in the foot, so I'm going to guess it's from a more modern boat with a 10 - 10.5 foot boom?

Any ideas? (I've been looking around at Bacon Sails, since they have the best database I've found for this kind of thing, but no luck so far).
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Here is a link to a large database of manufacturer's sail logos that I've found handy. It's hosted by the Montgomery owners photo site. I'm linking instead of opening it and looking myself, because my laptop finds .pdf downloads annoying (it's getting decidedly crochety in its dotage).

Besides, it's a nice reference to have handy :)

http://www.msogphotosite.com/MSOG/pdfpage/mslogo.pdf

Rachel
Chris Campbell
Boat Name: Luna
Boat Type: Yankee 30

Post by Chris Campbell »

That's right on the hoist for a Catalina 270, could it be that someone felt their boat had too much weather helm and they wanted to reduce it by shrinking the mainsail?

The Captiva 270 has similar dimensions (30x10.5)

My Dad's Ericson 27 isn't far off (28x10), but wouldn't have a 'C' on the sail

Mauri Pro has all kinds of boats listed - but only three 270's - the Cape Dory and Catalina you mentioned and the Captiva.
(http://www.mauriprosailing.com/techinfo ... ig%20C.htm)

The C&C 27 MkI is 28.5x10.5...

Don't know!
Chris Campbell

Post by Chris Campbell »

That is a brilliant resource, Rachel - thanks!

Hopefully your 'C' is in there, Duncan - let us know what you find!
MikeD
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

I'm sorry. But that document is bogus! There's no insignia for the Ariel.

http://www.pearsonariel.org/images/burgee.gif
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Thanks, Rachel. Undoubtedly, you are a researcher "par excellence"!

I'm pretty sure, based on your resource, and some Cape Dory brochures, that it was a Cape Dory insignia that was removed. Unfortunately, that seems complicate the puzzle, since the measurements don't fit any of the CD's I've checked.

Chris, as you say, the measurements are a pretty good fit for a number of 27' boats. That's probably where this sail will end up, since it would be a good fit for a lot of popular boats.
Cape Dory 10 & 27
BALANCE
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by BALANCE »

Could it not be a CD sail that was simply cut. Perhaps to reduce weather helm or sumpin?

Rachel IS a proverbial font. Rachel, I think I see you becoming a millionaire as a research resource like no other. My lord, you could replace Google! :)
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

MikeD wrote:I'm sorry. But that document is bogus! There's no insignia for the Ariel.

http://www.pearsonariel.org/images/burgee.gif
An unforgivable oversight! Maybe we can get it added.

BALANCE: But I need to use Google! ;)

(I do often think it would have been fun to be a detective though.)
jollyboat
Boat Name: Jollyboat
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by jollyboat »

Who knows what that sail was for - as boats age all kinds of things happen that change the original P and E measurements. How did you end up with the sail again?
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

jollyboat wrote:Who knows what that sail was for - as boats age all kinds of things happen that change the original P and E measurements. How did you end up with the sail again?
The sail came from someone who bought a property in New Hampshire, whose previous owner had owned a Cape Dory 27, then had a stroke. The boat was apparently sold, but the sail was left behind.

The CD 27 sailplan shows P=29'10" and E=11'6", whereas the sail measures 28'4" and 9'7". (Some of the sail measurement databases show P=30'6", but I suppose this could have been a taller mast later in the production run).

The sailbag is stencilled "Cape Dory 270 Main', and this is supported by the insignia which was removed. The CD 270's mast is about two feet taller, though, so the sail was probably cut down (with a corresponding reduction in the foot).

The sail looks like a good fit for a Catalina 27 (P=28.66, E=10.5) or an early C&C 27 (P=28.5, E=10.5), and a few other 27' boats, as well, so I think I may try and find a buyer for it. I'll probably 'try it out' on the CD 27 in the meanwhile, but I think it will be a little underpowered.

It's a good sail, medium-weight, triple-stitched, with a shelf foot, flattening reef, cunningham, etc., and still has about half its' 'crispness' left. The bag is an Ulmer Kolius one, and I think there's a good chance that really is where it came from. It would have been fine for me if it wasn't too small, so I think it should be useful for someone else?
Cape Dory 10 & 27
Chris Campbell

Post by Chris Campbell »

My Dad might be interested for his Ericson 27 (haven't asked him, but he desperately needs a new one) - any thoughts on what you're going to want for it so I can suggest it to him? And where are you (for shipping) - he's in Saint John, NB (Canada).