making some money

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Gerald A. Gotts
Bottom Paint Application Technician

making some money

Post by Gerald A. Gotts »

Hey, anybody out there had any experience with stick welding ? I'm wondering about those inexpensive stick welders at Wal-mart for $80.00 or so. I don't need to make much money while cruising just wondering if this would be a viable service. I also do a fair amt. of wood carving (relief). I have cut hair in the past as well. Any thoughts would be very welcome.

Jerry
I may be moving in the near future to Port Charlotte, Fl. Cuz the water is deeper down there and a lot more sailors around. In this area I'm surrounded by stink boaters... The poor Manatees!!!
Popeye1865
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by Popeye1865 »

there poor at best. they get some jobs done but you are very limited. i think you would be better of becoming a certified welder and stopping in a local shop and helping along your way rather than trying to drum up business and use a sub par welder besides the welder is only a small part of the metal working equation. and the dam things are heavy.
JonnyBoats
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Post by JonnyBoats »

For what it is worth, sometimes I find that just helping someone with simple things that only take a few minutes in return for a free meal is a good deal. I have worked with computers all my life, and I rarely meet a boat person with a computer who couldn't use some help with viruses or updates.

In terms of boat stuff, virtually all sailboats could use someone who knows how to whip lines.
John Tarbox
S/V Altair, a LeComte NorthEast 38
http://www.boatmaine.us
Gerald A. Gotts
Bottom Paint Application Technician

thanks

Post by Gerald A. Gotts »

Hey, thanks guys. I think I kinda knew that but sometimes I need a sounding board,maybe it's old age creeping up. I have done some bottom cleaning around here for $ so maybe stick to that and like you say some small jobs. I've often wondered about an Internet business like E-bay lounge but that may be difficult in the islands (Bahamas,Caribbean).

Anyway thanks for the input...........Jerry
I may be moving in the near future to Port Charlotte, Fl. Cuz the water is deeper down there and a lot more sailors around. In this area I'm surrounded by stink boaters... The poor Manatees!!!
jollyboat
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Jollyboat
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by jollyboat »

Start and eco friendly business, "Eco Bilge Cleaners". I am sure you would make out like a bandit. Remember, to hire the guy that is actually in the bilge doing as you say and supervise over. In the mean time, leave your calling card at the marinas that you are working at. The fines that are given to boaters for oil spills and pumping oil and fuel into the water are far greater than your minimum $500.00 Eco Bilge Cleaning service. You could get together with the DEP as well work in conjunction with them in building your Eco business. Create flyers which include the laws and fines for dumping and oil spills. That is classic evil scare tactic marketing, but sadly it works - "help me I'v fallen and can't get up".
Your eco business could include a monthly service where you change out oil-sorbs once per month and make sure that oil drip pans are not over flowing. You could further develop you business to include preventive measures including the fabrication and installation of oil drip pans. Remember - If you build it, they will come - but don't quit your day job.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter