How many warning plaques do you need?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Allen
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

How many warning plaques do you need?

Post by Allen »

I've got the requisite "Discharge of Oil Prohibited" and "Illegal to Dump" plaques but now I'm hearing you need a "Waste Management Plan" plaque or sticker, at least that's what the guy at West Marine here in Charleston said. It looks to me as if this (free from WM) sticker is the same thing as the "Illegal to Dump" plaque. It does look like you need a written "Waste Management Plan" if you are 40 ft LOA or greater but it can be a letter simply stating we collect the garbage and dispose of it in the proper receptacle when we go ashore. Anyone heard anything about this?
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

Hirilondë
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Hirilondë
Boat Type: 1967 Pearson Renegade

Post by Hirilondë »

Pretty soon we won't need to worry about interior decoration, the gov't will have decided how we do it.
Dave Finnegan
builder of Spindrift 9N #521 'Wingë'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gresham’s Law of information: Bad information drives out good. No matter how long ago a correction for a particular error may have appeared in print or online, it never seems to catch up with the ever-widening distribution of the error.
David

Post by David »

Try this website:

http://cruisinglife.org/waste.htm

It allows you to design and print a customized waste maangement plan for your vessel.

David
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

What exactly is a plaque or written waste management plan going to do to actually manage waste?

The only waste out there is the government, when you get right down to it. I'll stop lest I break my own forum rules.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Over 40' LOA, eh? Perhaps we'll be seeing 'docked' boats, with their noses clipped off. Like the gelded ones, with their keels shortened and Mars-ed.

I'll bet it's a real problem being 'green' for many of us. Our old boats don't usually have pans under the engines for one example.

I'm officially at 38'3 but with the bow roller and CQR and the Monitor, I might have to cover up some more of that nasty old varnished Makore with a nice new plaque!
Allen

Post by Allen »

Hirilondë wrote:Pretty soon we won't need to worry about interior decoration, the gov't will have decided how we do it.
EXACTLY!!! :(
Tim wrote:What exactly is a plaque or written waste management plan going to do to actually manage waste?

The only waste out there is the government, when you get right down to it. I'll stop lest I break my own forum rules.
The answer is obviously nothing. I can have 40 plaques on my boat and none of them will stop me from dumping garbage overboard, although the additional weight of the plaques will necessitate dumping more often.

With regard to the forum rule, as with most rules that effect us mere mortals, there should be an exemption for the government. ;)

David, thanks for the link, I now have a Waste Management Plan even though I'm a bit short of an LOA of 40 feet.
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

David

Post by David »

Allen,

I know you will sleep better at night now that you can read what you have decided to with your garbage.

David
Allen

Post by Allen »

Yes this will come in handy once Old-Timer's Disease finally makes it so I can't remember what to do with the garbage.
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

Triton 185
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: O'day Mariner, Pearson Triton

Post by Triton 185 »

Yes this will come in handy once Old-Timer's Disease finally makes it so I can't remember what to do with the garbage.
It's kinda like going below on some great mission and then not remembering why.
"The more you know, the less you need."
Yvon Chouinard