Splinter Group Missing?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Allen
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Splinter Group Missing?

Post by Allen »

I had a wooden boat question and low and behold the Splinter Group section seems to have departed. :( ;)

So I'll ask my question here, does anyone know of a source for plans for a c. 1700 ships boat? Something along the lines of a jolly boat, only earlier. LOA of around 20 feet +/-, capable of carrying a sloop or cutter rig with a gaff and seating 6 to 8 oarsmen and a coxswain.
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

gone2ddogs
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Silver Girl
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by gone2ddogs »

How about the selway frigate? I'd build one just so I could have a cannon on the bow!

"A 23’3” Ship’s Boat for Mr. Ian Bloomfield - this is a strip planked version of a 17th/18th Century Frigate’s Boat - she is modelled on the bluff bowed craft used for general work in the Fleet and will have a carronade with it's slide mounted on the bow! She carries a windlass so that the mast arrangement can be used as a derrick. She has a gaff cutter rig. Beam is 8'. "

http://www.selway-fisher.com/OtherDB.htm#FRIGATE

bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

The Splinter Group disapeared a few years ago. The fact that it was just noticed highights howimportant it was and why its not here anymore. :-)

For general c 1700 boats you might try Chapelle's American Small Sailing Craft. I don't know if has a specific model of ship's boat but its a classic that should be on everyone's bookshelf anyway.

Beyond that, you could try the Mystic Seaport Museum or maybe the Smithsonian.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Not to send you away, but the Woodenboat forum has a "designs and plans" forum that's quite active. I bet you'd get a number of ideas there. Here's a direct link:

http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Rachel
Allen

Post by Allen »

gone2ddogs, I actually already found this site. The Frigate's Boat is a very interesting design, but as with most of the stuff I'm finding mid to late 1700s. When looking for historically accurate items from clothing to boats there seems to be a big gap between the English Civ War (1625-1649) and the colonial period in America with much more available the closer you get to the Am Rev War period the more is available. This gap is actually kind of confusing since this is the period which includes the British establishing a presence at Jamaica (Henry Morgan 1655-1688), Queen Ann's War (The War of Spanish Succession in Europe 1703-1713) and the most active parts and end of the Golden Age of Piracy (1713-1722).

With regard to the Cannonade in the bow, it would be interesting to see how lighting this baby off impacted the boat. As I am scheduled to attend cannon training at Charles Towne Landing on the 16th I may have a better feel for this soon. Of course thies are c. 1670 9 and 12 pounders shooting squib loads (1/4 pound of black powder blanks) but you take what you can get. :)

Britton, you've got a point there, although I've been rather preoccupied with my Classic Plastic for the last few years, you think I'd have noticed. :)

I Amazoned American Small Sailing Craft, and thanks, almost everything by Chapelle is very interesting. I immediately found three of his books I'd like to order. Even though KAHOLEE was designed to hold a bunch of books I have already exceeded my design limits in that respect. I'm planning on flying home soon and bringing the car out for a month or so which will allow me to haul some of the less used gear back to Dallas so I should be able to accommodate these new acquisitions shortly.

Rachel, I had taken a look at the wooden boat site, but they seem to be mostly into new stuff, although there are several enticing threads about older boats. That is where I located the information on the Frigate's Boat mentioned by gone2ddogs. In fact there is a thread by a guy in Columbia SC looking for info on riverine boats in the early 1700s but it is dated from 2003 and dried up with no posts from the guy since. Maddeningly close but no way to follow up since all posts by this person end in 03. :(

I have found a site that will rent you boats of about the correct period and have considered writing to them and requesting information from the boat owners on how they acquired or built their craft. http://www.privateermedia.com/Boats/boats.htm

Thanks all for the assistance,
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position

Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Allen wrote:I had taken a look at the wooden boat site, but they seem to be mostly into new stuff, although there are several enticing threads about older boats.
I wonder if you posted a query if they might rise to the occasion? There seem to be some really knowledgeable "old stuff" people there. I almost have to stay away from there because - even more than here - it makes me pine for a big shop, with a woodstove and innumerable cool old tools, all honed to perfection.
Allen

Post by Allen »

I'll give that a try Rachel.

You should go visit Tim, he has everything you would like to see except the wood burning stove, a real tool junkie's paradise. :)

And speaking of honed, he has this wonderful drill bit sharpener.
Allen
SV KAHOLEE
Triton #158

Click Here for Position