Lifting a boat

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
David VanDenburgh
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ariel
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

Lifting a boat

Post by David VanDenburgh »

I don't suppose anyone has some ideas about how to lift a boat without the aid of a hydraulic trailer, crane, or travel lift, do they? Boat length is 24', displacement is about 4000 lbs, hull is full keel with cutaway forefoot. The boat is currently sitting on blocks and supported by stands.

I was thinking about building a cradle under it, then skidding the whole thing onto a flatbed trailer using ramps. I have a couple of other ideas, but I'm afraid they're beyond the limits of sanity.

By the way, no big trees or anything else nearby. And, yes, I'm trying to do this on the cheap.

Thanks for your input.

David
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Oh, Charlieeee!

(He and Laura picked up their 5,300# Meridian from a fellows driveway using just a car-type flatbed trailer, a chain fall, and (I think) some small rollers or wheeled gizmos. They built a quick-but-effective wood cradle on site.)
kendall
Master Varnisher

moving a boat

Post by kendall »

I was able to load my triton on a flatbed (with a cradle) using fllor jacks and a bunch of 4x4 and 6x6 cribs. Definately want to buid a cradle to move it yourself, afterwards:
lift one end, high enough to take a cribbing block, then raise the other end high enough to take two blocks, move end to end till you have it a bit higher than the trailer. Then work the trailer under the boat by walking the blocks back as you slide the trailer in, once you have the leading edge over the axles and don't have to worry about lifting the tongue, the use of short lengths of pipe as rollers will let you pull it on the rest of the way with come-alongs. If you can come up with a long beam, after getting the boat and cradle raised, block the beam up under it so you can back the trailer in under the cradle, eliminates having to play with the cribbing all the time.

Whenyou get a cradle built, call up a few mobile home set up places, most have a binkley system that is specifically made for sliding mobile or modular homes over basements, they'd be able to raise it and slide it onto the trailer with ease. Most of those guys are idle these days, so you may be able to get it done cheap. Just watching them a bit will show you the technique. Used to work for a company in ceder springs and still know a couple of the guys, so they're the ones I call when I need something heavy moved.

Ken.

Edit: Just noticed you're in Saint Jo, not too terribly far from me. I may be able to lend a hand if you need it.

also, here's a few shots of a binkley system in action:
http://www.modularhomesetting.com/MHS/process.htm

Ken
David VanDenburgh
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ariel
Boat Type: Cape Dory 36

Thanks

Post by David VanDenburgh »

I appreciate the info and insight. Certainly there are at least a few options when it comes to getting the job done. Thanks!

Kendall: Grand Rapids? Where do you sail out of? Is the Ariel you just bought the one that was listed on Craigslist?
kendall
Master Varnisher

Post by kendall »

You're welcome.

Yeah that's the one. I was sailing out of muskegon. Will most likely have the Ariel there next spring. Though may have a line on a low cost slip in holland.
The Ariel needs a bit of work, but pretty solid and in good overall shape.

Ken.