Locating the Hull Number

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
The Froon
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: TBD
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Locating the Hull Number

Post by The Froon »

My first post to The Plastic Classic Forum! - thanks Tim..

I am currently restoring a 23' Sea Sprite, and have been trying to locate the hull number. Is it possible that it has been glassed over, am I not looking in the right spot?

Thanks,

Brian
Case
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Case »

Do you have a main with the Sea Sprite 23? The hull number is usually on it. Hopefully it was not a main from another Sea Sprite 23 - if this is the case, then the number is not to be trusted.

On newer SS23s (built around 1970 and later), the hull number is on the VIN stamped in the gelcoat at the stern. If you have an older SS23, I have no idea - the number could be anywhere. The numbers often was on a plaque screwed somewhere in the boat but probably missing in your case. You could try looking under everything inside the boat, numbers sometimes are scrawled on the underside.

It will help if you could tell me what year (supposedly) the boat was built. I won't be able to tell you the exact number but can tell you a range.

You made a good choice with the SS23 - lovely and sails very well. I have one, Fizz, hull no. 652.

- Case
bhartley
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Name: Ariel Pyxis
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 Cape Dory 25D

SS23

Post by bhartley »

Brian,

Ariel's HIN is stamped on the transom (upper right). She is a 1973 Wickford built SS23. If you have a Sailstar SS23, you probably won't find one there.

You will love your Sea Sprite. Ariel has been out of the water for the last two years; however, the sale of our Typhoon will get her back in service next summer. Yeah!

If you need pictures of anything as you work on your restoration, just send me a note.

Bly
The Froon

Post by The Froon »

Thanks...

I will look at the sails, as well as through the cabin. I will also work through the Rhode Island registartion depts for assitance.

Thanks,

Brian
LazyGuy
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Paper Moon
Boat Type: Luders 33 (Allied Boat Co.)

Post by LazyGuy »

Brian,

Welcome!!!! My first sailboat was a Sea Sprite 23. It will always have a place in my heart. I have the name board on the wall in the family room.

What was the name of the SS 23 you purchased and where was it located? When you take pictures, include a close up of the hull, toe rail and deck. Sometimes you can tell the manufacturer by the toe rail/rub rail.

One final question: is it a day sailor or a weekender? The weekender has a self bailing cockpit and the mast is stepped just forward of the cabin. The day sailor has a cockpit that drains to the bilge and the mast is stepped on the coach roof.
Cheers

Dennis
Luders 33 "Paper Moon" Hull No 16

Life is too short to own an ugly boat.
The Froon

Locating the Hull Number

Post by The Froon »

Thanks! Good to be part of a community like this! Lackey's on-line journals keep me on the computer for far too long, well that is until I ot started with my SS23 restoration.

I found the hull number on the mainsail...SS23 #217 restoration under way!

This SS23 (Seascape) was purchased in Bristol, RI, and I had her hauled down to Jacksonville, FL. My plan is to build my skills on this boat; I will present it to my daughter upon its completion. Then I begin the search for the larger boat for eventual blue water cruising....yep, I know, these are longterm goals; but life is a journey, and its all about the journey not the destination.

Brian
The Froon

Post by The Froon »

Dennis:

It is a weekender; off-set motor well; mast stepped forward of cabin.

Brian