Triton Hull number?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
john
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Triton Hull number?

Post by john »

I have acquired another Triton. The title show it to be Hull number 332 built in 1962. And the Pearson Dataplate is corroded enough that its difficult to make out the hull number. I can make out a 32 on the last 2 digits but the first one is unreadable.

By looking at the Triton.org website, I see 332 is an east coast boat and the photos of it do not look like mine.

This is a Aeromarine boat if that makes any difference.

Any ideas out there on what I have here?
Is it supposed to do that?
jollyboat
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Jollyboat
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by jollyboat »

John, Congrats on your getting another Triton. All of the Aeromarine boats had fiberglass combings - does yours? If it does it was built in California.
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

John, I looked at the pictures of #332 on the www.tritonclass.org website and I have to say you must have better eyes than me. It almost looks to me like the photo shows an Aeromarine Triton but I can't be sure. I don't really know the 'westies' well.

For what its worth, my records show #332 as being an Aeromarine Triton owned by 'Steven' and named Alleron. I don't have any other information. If the boat was built in 1962 then she must have been the first built that year as #331 is listed as being built in 1961.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

All of the Aeromarine boats had fiberglass combings
Brian, Brian, Brian... you should know Tritons too well to make such blanket statements ;-)
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
john
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Post by john »

I do have the fiberglass combings and I do not have the large port frames. the acrylic is bolted directly to the cabin sides. I'm just concerned that I may have a paperwork problem at some time in the future.
Is it supposed to do that?
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

If you have a title then you should be golden.

I don't think the government really cares about hull #'s from the factory and for the record I have found several Tritons claiming the same numbers. When I applied for my title the Pearson hull number was never asked for. I did have to apply for a special Hull Identification Number though.

The Hull Identification Number scribed into the transom on boats built later and older boats that were issued special HIN's (like mine), are definitely important but the Pearson/Aeromarine hull numbers are not the same.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
jollyboat
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: Jollyboat
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by jollyboat »

Sounds like a West Coast Triton to me. Britton, when I had 346 trucked out to San Franscisco I was even more Triton obsessed than I am now. I honestly can say with some degree of confidence that the Aeromarine built Tritons were not built with wood combings. While I was in the Bay area I was able to meet many Triton owners of West coast fame, such as Dave Wilson, (Answer) Ray Alsup (Pegasus) and many more. I also had a birth in the Berkeley Marina right next to Debbie Weeks - a gal from Maine who solo sailed her Triton to Hawaii. Anyway I am mentioning all of this because during this time I was able to really look and study a lot of Tritons. Most of which were West Coast Tritons but there were also many east coast boats as well - my own included. I do love to make crazy blanket statements but this time I pretty sure that I am correct - or at least close to being correct - <grins>
Brian
Jollyboat, Triton #466
Sepi,Triton #346 (1st, Triton)

No Quarter