Disposal of Triton 114

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
jhenson
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal

Disposal of Triton 114

Post by jhenson »

I am seriously considering ending my work on Triton 114. My lack of progress lately and the work in front of me has given me some serious doubts about the viability of this endeavor.

Should I elect to part with her, I am faced with the sobering task of how best to dispose of her. The sale of the bronze ports and deadlights recently have convinced me that the most profitable method for me would be to chainsaw the hull and sell the all the parts, sails, and spars independently on ebay. I really don’t want to do that. I’d rather see the boat and the work I put into her go on to be enjoyed by someone who might want her.

Having said that, I’m struggling right now with my other boat, and may have use for the Yanmar 2GM. Recently, I moved my CAL 27 70 miles to Virginia waters. During the move, the transmission on my Volvo-Penta MB10 developed a nasty oil leak. Subsequent inspection revealed a 2” long crack in the rear casting. The price for the new one is around $470 for a casting smaller than a shoe box. I used JB Weld on the crack, and it is holding for now, but I’m not optimistic about how long the repair will last. So, one option would be to pull the engine from the Triton and use it to change the CAL 27 over to a diesel.

I guess I’d really appreciate some honest opinions of what value the boat has with, or without the Yanmar. I fully realize the boat is worth far less than my initial investment, and I will never recapture any of the time and materials I put into her since. If you think the boat has little or no value with either, please say so. I really don’t know. One thought I have would be to put only the original parts of the boat (what I started with) on ebay. I’d keep the new tanks, Yanmar, and possibly the Barient winches. I still have the original winches and Atomic 4 with mount. Maybe it’s not worth anything, but the decks have been re-cored, the cockpit lockers altered, and some of the fairing completed on the decks. I’m nearly all the way around with cap rails and eyebrows, and will finish those if I decide not to chop the hull. On the other had, the boat is really an eye-sore, and the v-berth is completely missing.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Joe
MikeD
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

???

All I can say Joe, is yours are some of the updates I most look forward to when I visit the forum...

How about this: sell the Cal and use the money to hire out some of the the more daunting Triton work? (I don't mean to make light of your decision, I'm sure it wasn't/isn't an easy one you're wrestling with.)
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Joe,

The decision whether or not to continue your Triton project is entirely a personal one that no one else can truly comment upon, but in any event please, please don't consider the parts/chainsaw route if you decide to not continue working on the project. What a waste that would be. Your posting shocked me.

You have done so much work to the boat over the past years, and while she is still at that awkward stage where she doesn't technically have a lot of "value" in a strictly monetary sense because of the extent of the work ahead, you have done all the key structural work that is the real killer for project wannabes, and that makes the boat (in my opinion) a highly desirable prospect for project hunters. The boat has tons of inherent value of other sorts, not to mention plenty of potential.

From what I can tell in your updates of late, the boat is now structurally sound but basically still an empty shell--but a shell that is ready for the finishing touches that might/would interest many potential project boat buyers.

Sure, she looks bad at this stage--but it's the kind of bad that looks good: that is, she looks like someone's working seriously on her. Epoxy fairing compound and bare fiberglass are ugly as sin, particularly after longer periods of time, but if nothing else they are the telltale signs of a boat that's being upgraded.

Never mind the beautiful woodwork you've begun on your toerails and elsewhere. Sure, it's not done, but how could you even consider the parts-and-dumpster route?

The key here, regardless of your ultimate decision whether or not to continue your work on her, is that in no way is your boat dumpster fodder. That would just be a real shame, and is something I cannot accept.

Valuation of boats like yours is a tough nut to crack and depends a lot on the potential buyer, equipment of note that comes with the boat, and so forth. But your boat is past all the nasty deconstruction/core/fiberglass/repair stage, and well into the next--and more fun--stages of the process. As such, she is in far better condition than many, many Tritons, despite her unfinished nature.

Joe, please don't talk any more of "disposal". No, you'll not recoup your investment to date, but at least sell her to someone else or, lacking that potential, give her away. That's better in the long run.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

<gasping for air>...
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

I can't and won't comment about your reasons for ending the project. I know that has to be a very tough decision with all the effort you have invested to this point.

As to value, you could probably recoup more by parting it out. The sum of the parts is almost always worth more than the whole package.

That said, you are still not talking about a lot of money except maybe for the engine which you might consider removing.

It might take someone who has been there already to understand it but I agree with Tim that your boat actually has a lot of value to the right person. Finding someone that knows and is still willing to do it again will be the trick. People that go the rebuild route more than once are clearly off their rocker...

If you have to let it go then maybe take the engine out and sell that separately. Then give the boat away to a lucky person that wants a good project boat. Your boat is actually at a good point where the hard nasty stuff is mostly done and the fun customizing bits and final cosmetics (paint) are coming up. I am not saying you are nearly done of course, there are miles to go but I am saying the worst is over and it is going to get easier (I think and hope for my own diminishing sanity...)

Please give her away or sell her for $500 and make someone and the entire Triton community very happy. It kills me to read about another Triton cut up. They just don't make boats like them anymore and what we have is all we are going to get.

Let her live!

Heck, I will take her if you can't find someone else. I already have my own ideas for how my next Triton project is going to go :-)
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

What about long term storage. Put her to bed for five years and come back to her later?
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
jhenson

Post by jhenson »

Tim, Mike, and Britton,

Thank you! I agree with you. The boat should stay intact. I thoroughly enjoy reading the postings on this forum and visit it almost every day. Should someone be interested in the project, post a message here, or send me a private message and I will give a contact number.

I have decided not to list it for sale or auction for a few months to collect my thoughts on this.

Joe
bcooke
Master of the Arcane

Post by bcooke »

whew!
-Britton
Work is overrated.

The Website
The Blog
MikeD
Boat Name: Totoro
Boat Type: Sea Sprite 23 (#626)

Post by MikeD »

Oh good! ....and can we pleeease stop throwing that nasty "chainsaw" word around on this forum? < shudder >
Mike
Totoro (SS23 #626)