A source for laminate material for a distribution panel.

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Ronin120
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

A source for laminate material for a distribution panel.

Post by Ronin120 »

I've been futzing with re-wiring and rebuilding the navigation station and replacing the distribution panel on my boat over the winter and have arrived at a rather silly impasse; I can't seem to figure out where to find a nice laminate for the backing for the distribution panel board at the navigation station. I've been attempting to search on-line but just haven't been able to find the right source. I seem to end up at a lot of sites that want to sell me some nice marble countertops...

The original was the beige Formica that is used throughout the boat but I'd like to move away from that and go with a dark color, preferably black or a very dark grey color.

I've included a couple of pictures of the mess because I know that I like to look at photos and I figured others do to. Enjoy!

Best,
Dave

This shot shows my first attempt years ago to clean up the factory wiring. This is an improvement over the original. Please don't laugh....

Wiring everywhere.
First very rough mockup.
Last edited by Ronin120 on Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

If you're just looking for "plain" Formica-type material (without the backing counter board), you can get it at places like Home Depot. Usually there are some fairly vanilla colors that they stock and then that "wall of chips" that you can order, which includes the more unusual choices.

The chips come in handy for various tasks too :)

R.

Thanks for the pics!
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

I visited a local floor covering place in the relatively large town close to us. They also install counter tops and had a HUGE selection of smaller pieces of formica in various colors and grades. All left over stuff from installations. I picked up a small ( 2 x 2 ) piece for very little cash.

Scout around in your area for someone who installs counters- chances are they'll have left over pieces also.
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Re: A source for laminate material for a distribution panel.

Post by Tim »

Ronin120 wrote: Please don't laugh....
The question that begs asking is: why are you getting rid of that delightful collection of little painted designs :<)

If you're looking just for basic high-pressure laminate that you install yourself (i.e. Formica, Pionite, Wilsonart, etc), then the suggestions above should start you in the right direction. Or go to any kitchen store or decorating center, lumber yard, etc. These products come in a wide variety of sizes, so you don't need to buy a 4x8 sheet.

The scrap option might work out well if you can find just what you're looking for. Since you have a specific color in mind, you might have to search more to find the right scrap.

I agree with you that a dark gray matte color would look nice behind your new panel. (Nice panel, by the way.)
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

On the other hand- just a painted panel can be nice too.. Here's the box my wife built for Tehani, our Meridian 25. It latches on the inboard side and hinges to swing outboard for access to the back.

CO26
Bottom Sanding Grunt

Post by CO26 »

I used the new FX laminate. A bit pricey, but happy with the quality.

http://alsacorp.com/products/sheetingfx/shfx_price.htm

Available by the linear foot in widths of 24", 36" and 48" depending on the material.

Jim
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Jim,

I notice a "1" next to your "number of posts" -- Welcome to the forum!

And... photos of your Contessa 26? Pretty please?

:)

Rachel
Ronin120
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by Ronin120 »

Thanks guys (and that includes you Rachel) for the tips.

I had gone to Home Depot earlier and was told that they had stopped carrying sheet countertop laminates. Some about handling, breakage and not worth the return.

I'm going to try and run some of those ideas down. Tim's given me some brand names and that is the start that I was looking for. Jim, I've bookmarked that website you linked to.

Now, to the important stuff. Those cute little palm trees and margarita glasses are courtesy of my wife. She got very tired of looking at that cheap plywood backing while I was trying to figure out what to do. So she decided to decorate. And that was 2 years ago.

As is often said, "there is nothing so permanent as a temporary fix..."

Also, I see I broke the link to the earlier pictures (sorry Tim) so I've fixed those but I've just included a URL for the time being. Some other shots of the boat and whatnot. I put it together last night so don't expect much.

As I work on the boat I'll update the forum and the site.

Best,
Dave

http://web.mac.com/ronin37/iWeb/Ronin%2 ... 0Rest.html
Capn_Tom
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by Capn_Tom »

Search cabinet supply or by brand name such as wilsonart
The board does not cut itself short!
Tom Young
Skilled Systems Installer

A good source for plastic laminate pieces.

Post by Tom Young »

In my experience, search out the small local building material suppliers. Most used to deal alot in laminate and many still do to some extent. Mine here in town has many pieces in sizes and finish/color, some stock, some leftover shorts, orders never picked up, etc. You will likely have to ask for it.

Of course they can still order pieces for you as well, often in smaller sizes than you would expect.