Replacing a hatch?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
john
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Replacing a hatch?

Post by john »

I have seen many hatch replacements on Tritons. Can anyone tell me why? The original seems like a decent design and doesn't leak much. Many of the hatches I have seen as replacements look very similar to the forward hatch I had on a Searay Sundancer (Back when I like to buy lots of fuel for going short distances...) Anyhow, that hatch leaked terribly. I'm just wondering what the reasoning is for so many original hatch replacements? It just seems like a lot of work an expense for a minimal benefit.
Is it supposed to do that?
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

It's an individual choice driven by one's needs/desires and the condition of the existing hatches, which vary widely from boat to boat. If you like the stock hatch and it works for you, then there's no reason at all to change it.

I changed mine because a new hatch came with the boat (the PO worked for Bomar), and because the original was trashed. Plus, the original openings are kind of small, and I wanted something larger and easier to egress. While I wouldn't happen to recommend the exact hatch I have because the hinging mechanism isn't good, the hatch doesn't leak, and in general I prefer modern hatches.

All modern hatches look similar in external appearance, but rest assured that they are most certainly not all created equal. There is a lot of junk out there, and then there are excellent hatches that look outwardly similar, but are entirely different in construction and quality. I won't comment on the quality of things that go into typical Sea Rays.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

Tim,

Would you mind saying which model of hatch has hinge mechanisms that you're not fond of? I'll understand if you'd rather not, of course.

Rachel
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

One thing I can say negativelly about the stock Triton hatch is that they tend to catch the jib sheets under the lip.

It makes for a very embarassing moment when you are hotly engaged in a tacking duel with another boat and your jib fails to come over because of the snagged sheet.

Nice things about that hatch design is that they will never leak in normal rain and spray. Unlike hatches that rely on rubber seals. Personally, I am not terribly crazy about the look though.

-Britton
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog