Naming a boat?

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
john
Bottom Paint Application Technician

Naming a boat?

Post by john »

I know some don't like to rename a boat but, whats the procedure for reinstating a former name? I am starting on Triton 451 and there is no name on the stern or any of my paperwork. However, when I was going through some of the old papers in the lockers, I found a neat folder with several issues of the "Triton Trumphet" "distributed by the National Triton Association" as well as several "Nation Triton Association" newsletters all dated in the early 70's. I found my boat is listed as "Mariner" a name which, I kind of like.
My question is, is there some arcane ceremony for renaming a vessel with a former name? As far as I know, it was never named something else, the name either faded or was never painted on. Heaven forbid I offend any Deities or anything or anyone for that matter.
Is it supposed to do that?
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm

No guarantees for removal of throughhull, impellor or lost halyard daemons, however. I simply pass this on.
grampianman
Master Varnisher

Post by grampianman »

I used John Vigor's ceremony which is similar to the one in the link. The most important part of the ceremony is the champagne (or whatever beverage you prefer; Neptune is not picky). Be sure to allow ample liquid to flow over the stem of the boat and always, the first toast is to Neptune.
I de-named and re-named my boat in 2007, and so far, so good.
Good luck,
Cheers,
Ian
Wing & a Prayer, Grampian 23, #299
BALANCE
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by BALANCE »

Suggestions on how to best remove a painted on name?
S/V BALANCE
Westsail32
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

I poured a glass of Dominican rum into the harbor as my gift to Neptune when I first launched.

There are a zillion 'ceremonies' out there and I am pretty sure none are particularly 'traditional' or if they are they are very local.

Painting the name on the transom or wherever works pretty well.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Rachel
Master of the Arcane

Post by Rachel »

BALANCE wrote:Suggestions on how to best remove a painted on name?
Is it on gelcoat or on some kind of paint? On gelcoat, you might try acetone or denatured alcohol. The "Li'l Chizler" tools can be handy, although they're not specifically necessary (cheap though and handy to have a couple in the tool box).

john

Clarification.

Post by john »

Hi all,
I guess I wasn't very clear on what I was asking, sorry about that. What I wanted to know was, if, the name has faded on the stern (there is not even a minor trace of the name on the stern). and I see no reference to any name on this vessel on any paperwork except for a 30 year old newsletter I found, Does this mean the name was altered by neglect or any other thing we can think of? Will I need to go through a "de-naming" ceremony? and then re-name it back to the original name which was "Mariner" and I like that one.

Or, since it was already named that, will painting the name on the stern again simply be a corrective measure not needing any ceremony?

Maybe I'm making too much of this? I just don't want to violate some protocol here.
Triton 53
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Alli-Ann
Boat Type: Triton

Post by Triton 53 »

John,

Was #53 mentioned in the newsletter? If so what was the name at that time? I have found a partial name on the mast besides the name that was on the stern when I got the boat (Liberte).

Thanks
"Alli-Ann" Triton #53
Edgewood Yacht Club

Basic research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.
Wernher von Braun
feetup
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by feetup »

I would think, in a court, where the magistrate was none other than Neptune himself, if you can say that in all truth and with due diligence to search for said truth, that you have no knowledge of the vessel having been christened to any other name, and , notwithstanding the above, did wish to appease the gods of the sea by restoring the original name to the vessel, having no way of knowing, if by chance the vessel was given another name, possibly in error. And, if at the time the original name was re painted upon the transom that you donate generous libations to the gods of the sea, how could they find fault with such actions.
After all, it is not your desire to cheat the gods, only to please them.

Tim
john

Post by john »

I have the Triton one design class of San Francisco Bay Inc. Membership list dated 2-20-1973
They do not mention hull #53. The list goes from #21 to #76 Sorry.
Capn_Tom
Skilled Systems Installer
Boat Type: Westsail 32

Post by Capn_Tom »

You should always use Vigor's de-naming ceremony simply because it is fun and involves the use of acohol. In comparison the naming ceremony is quite boring.
The board does not cut itself short!
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

Maybe I'm making too much of this? I just don't want to violate some protocol here.
You can just paint any name you want on the boat at any time and for any reason. Any protocol is just people having fun.

The boat doesn't care in the least.

Neptune has been dead a long time.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

bcooke wrote: Any protocol is just people having fun.
My thoughts exactly. Have as much fun with this superstition as you want, but if you don't care, neither does anyone else.

I have changed the name of every boat I've had and never bothered with the little offerings to the "Gods" because it doesn't worry/interest me. To each their own, so do what suits you.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
suntreader
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Post by suntreader »

When we re-launched the Flying Scot last week I had my wife pour some wine (whatever was handy) on the bow and I declared it "Anhinga."

When my buddy who sailed the boat with a previous owner asks about the "Sea Hag" I just say I never sailed that boat but Anhinga sails fine.

If the boat was 'Mariner' before and will be so again then there isn't anything involved, just put the name on and go with it. You can assume no one conduced a denaming ceremony.

If you're changing the name, get the old one off the boat, no reference should remain anywhere on board to the old name, do this as soon as possible, preferably at the beginning of a major refit. A boat should never be renamed in the water, only when hauled out. Do not let the boat know its new name until its being christened, preferable as near the launch as possible. You can say what ever you want to it, declare the name to all present, the boat and the sea, pour some of the good stuff over the bow and you're golden. If you really want to offend the gods, pour something cheap on the bow and save the good stuff for yourself.

Of course you've got to be a bit crazy to bother with any of this.

Dave
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

A fellow in the Swan Creek Sailing Association renamed his boat with one of these ceremonies last Saturday. Much champagne was dolliped to the four winds but more to the surrounding dock lizards. The fellow's kids got a kick out of it (sans champagne), and a good time was had by all.