Sail Slides

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Ganges #363
Rough Carpentry Apprentice

Sail Slides

Post by Ganges #363 »

I bent on my new main sail and found the new stainless sail slides don't like my sail track. My old sail's bronze slides liked it just fine.

I lubed the track as far up as I could reach, and the new slides seemed to like that. So the plan is to go up the mast in a chair and clean and lube the track. The question is: what is is the best lube to use? I don't want to have to re-lube the track often (at all), don't want a lube that will eventually become gummy or sticky, or go away.

I've also considered trying to 'open' the slides, maybe hammering some kind of wedge in them. They're really stout, though. Any thoughts about that?

And the bolt rope in the foot also could use some lube, what is best for that?

Bill
Ganges #363
catamount
Candidate for Boat-Obsession Medal
Boat Name: GREYHAWK
Boat Type: Peterson 34

Post by catamount »

I would try Team McLube SailKote

http://www.mclube.com/frames/sailkote/

available from most chandleries and marine supply houses
Tim Allen -- 1980 Peterson 34 GREYHAWK
Harborfields Housekeeping Cottages, West Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Sailors for the Sea, a new voice for ocean conservation
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

If you can't get up the mast to lube the track, it often works pretty well to lube the slides themselves.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Peter
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist
Boat Name: Pagan
Boat Type: Albin Ballad 30

Post by Peter »

Just a passing thought: Could you transfer the bronze slides to the new sail?
Peter
==================
Victoria BC Canada
Albin Ballad 30

http://www.mostlyaboutboats.ca
Ganges #363

Sail Slides

Post by Ganges #363 »

Switching out the new stainless slides for the old bronze slides is a possiblity. But the new slides are so beautifully, and very strongly, attached to the sail, it would take a sailmaker to make the switch. I'd like to find another solution if possible. But I can envision the new slides being just tight enough to stick later in life, like when the lube has worn down, and sticking at the worst possible moment (of course).

I've been trying to think of some device I could hoist up the mast that would clean the track, then maybe lubing the slides would be enough.

Bill
Ganges #363
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

Check the dimensions. I think the bronze track sheetmetal is thicker than stainless would be. They're supposed to be compatible; mine are and they work fine, but check 'em.

Check out the current GOB or Cruising World; one of 'em has an article describing a travelling lubricant spray can holder. Lift it with the halyard, retrieve it with a 'specially rigged downhaul; it tracks up and down the mast; the halyard is tied off to a lever which operates the spray head. It's a home made item, made by the writer, so of course, it works perfectly.

Even your model train rails get dirty enough stored away to cause poor contacts. They sell a travelling cleaner-impregnated pad for 'em. You might make-up a similar travelling bit of Scotchbrite mounted to a pair of spare slides.
Aweigh329
Deck Grunge Scrubber
Boat Name: Aweigh
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Aweigh329 »

Hi Bill, I had the same problem last year when I bought new sails from Doyle. After much fooling around the guys from Doyle decided to replace the new slides with the old bronze ones. There was no cost to me except I had to wait for them to do the work. It only took them a couple of hours. Good luck.
Jim
Ganges #363

Sail Slides

Post by Ganges #363 »

Thanks for the ideas...the model train thing sounds interesting. Now if I can electrify my sail track it will really be fun. I was trying to think of different devices like that, and that one is cool. The thing in Good Old Boat is ingenious, but works for bolt rope luffs.

Thanks Jim, for the sailmaker report. My new slides are so beautifully worked I really hope I don't have to change them. But my bronze slides were never a problem.

Bill
Ganges #363
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

The contraption in Good Old Boat... well, I suppose it's good that a bored retired engineer finds relatively harmless outlets for his frustrated talents, but that thing goes into the Cutting Butter With A Chainsaw file for sure.
Ceasar Choppy
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Ceasar Choppy »

Figment wrote:The contraption in Good Old Boat... well, I suppose it's good that a bored retired engineer finds relatively harmless outlets for his frustrated talents, but that thing goes into the Cutting Butter With A Chainsaw file for sure.
Glad I'm not the only one who thought that!
Swatting a fly with a shotgun for sure!
Ganges #363

Sail Slides

Post by Ganges #363 »

An update/conclusion to the sail slide project. We sanded and SailKoted the sail track, but had little improvement on the installed sail slides. (Did it the old fashioned way...bosun's chair.) The sailmaker (Hood Sausalito) replaced the slides, the 'new' new ones work perfectly. He said starting 2-3 years ago, he began having problems with slides, but still had a supply of the old style on hand. They are stainless as well.

If you're buying a new sail, it would be a good idea to have the slides tested on your track before putting them on the sail. The 'bad' ones were hard to put on the track, and wouldn't slide at all...you can tell pretty easily if they will work or not.

The new sail fits like a glove, and sets beautifully. Sailed with it yesterday for the first time and we were moving faster and easier, I'd say at or very close to hull speed in 10-12K.

Bill
Ganges #363