Clean Bilge

Ask a question...get an answer (or two).
Marshall Wright
Rough Carpentry Apprentice
Boat Name: s/v Sunset
Boat Type: Pacific Seacraft 25T

Clean Bilge

Post by Marshall Wright »

Now that I have the bilge plug out, I'd like (once it gets a little warmer) to really clean out the bilge.

I've got some access difficulties with accessing my bilge. I've pulled my water tank so that area is accessible. But that compartment is separated from the fuel tank by a below-sole bulkhead. And the fuel tank is located over the deep bilge and is so tight that only 1/4" gaps exist around that tank. Another below sole bulkhead separates the fuel tank compartment from the one below the engine which has a nice fiberglass below engine oil tray - all this effectively seals off the bilge. My only access below the motor is through a 1-1/2" hole in the tray that my manual bilge pump pipe feeds through and back through a small slot at the stern where the shaft exits the hull.

Couple of questions. I'm considering pulling the fuel tank to clean that compartment. Do you know whether businesses actually come to a boat and will pump out a tank? Under what name in the Yellowpages????

I'm considering using a low psi pressure washer. Are they available where you can add cleaning agents or actually heat the spray to help clean off any grease?

I've read previous posts. I'll try flooding the bilge with cleaner after putting Sunset back in the water and pump out after it has sloshed around for awhile. But before that, I'd like to do a thorough cleaning and flush out most of the 30 build-up while she is on land and I can capture some of the runoff.

Advice, equipment I might consider/rent, chemicals to use, etc. most appreciated.

Marshall
Figment
Damned Because It's All Connected
Boat Name: Triton
Boat Type: Grand Banks 42

Post by Figment »

The boatyard will know who to call for the tank pumput. If it's a well-run yard, they probably don't let just anyone on site to do such work.

Yes, some pressure washers have integral detergent dispensers, but I've only ever seen this on the low-powered ones. A TRUE pressure washer will strip paint at ten-inch range just with the pressure, so detergent is really unnecessary.

Adding heat to a pressure washer brings it into the realm of a "steam cleaner", which is a whole other animal, capable of stripping paint from ten FEET away, and I would not advise turning this animal loose on the inside of a boat. I like my skin just where it is, thankyouverymuch.
Marshall Wright
Boat Name: s/v Sunset
Boat Type: Pacific Seacraft 25T

Pressure Wash

Post by Marshall Wright »

Figment,

OK, the steam cleaner is out.

I can borrow a Red Devil ??? pressure washer. May generate +- 150 psi??? I could push the wand down below into my bilge.
But is this going to be effective? Would getting my hands on a detergent model be better? Is 150 psi damaging?

Marshall
Tim
Shipwright Extraordinaire
Boat Name: Glissando
Boat Type: Pearson Triton

Post by Tim »

Some "real" gasoline-powered power washers feature a little fitting where you can connect a hose to a bucket of cleaner or what have you. (I have one of these.) It's not necessarily that effective; you're just as well off sudsing the area up on your own first, then using the power washer to clean it afterwards. Or even no soap at all: that depends on the specifics of the case, I'd say.
---------------------------------------------------
Forum Founder--No Longer Participating
Triton 53
Almost a Finish Carpenter
Boat Name: Alli-Ann
Boat Type: Triton

Post by Triton 53 »

A 1 gallon garden sprayer with a TSP and bleach mix should work. You can get one for about $25 at a hardware store. A pressure washer inside a cabin can be done but use the low pressure tip and be sure to have goggle type eye protection because you will get a lot of splash-back.

Pete
Quetzalsailor
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Quetzal
Boat Type: LeComte North East 38

Post by Quetzalsailor »

I could not scrub the entire bottom of the deep keel, either. About half is under the monel fuel tank and that tank is glassed in place. I settled for spraying with an ordinary hose, added soap, and a wet-or-dry vac. Since the remaining half of the offending surface is about 4' below the sole and mostly under the engine, scrubbing was out. Even so, the boat no longer smells of bilge, and three seasons later, I can still see clean fiberglass when I vacuum it dry at the end of a season.

My power washer's a 2200 psi gas powered thing with a siphon pick-up for soap (that doesn't work, by the way). You can certainly chew up softer surfaces, like unfinished wood and your shoes, but fiberglass and gelcoat are pretty resistant to damage. My wife never allowed me to use the washer inside the boat; it would send spray and removed stuff all over everywhere.

Maybe one day I'll figure out how to get that Atomic 4 coil out from under the tank; my magnet wasn't up to the task.
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

Might be able to save some money, and keep the fuel by building a fuel transfer pump and setting some 55 gallon drums outside the boat.

(I built mine out of a Facet solid state fuel pump... 30 bucks at NAPA, some fuel rated hose, and a length of copper line. Not fast by anyones definition though!)
Maine Sail
Skilled Systems Installer

Re: Clean Bilge

Post by Maine Sail »

Marshall Wright wrote: Couple of questions. I'm considering pulling the fuel tank to clean that compartment. Do you know whether businesses actually come to a boat and will pump out a tank? Under what name in the Yellowpages??
Marshall
The easiest way is to buy an electric 12v fuel pump, some hose, the right fittings at an auto parts store (about $15.00) and a 6 gallon jerry can about $8.00. Empty it six gallons at a time and offer the fuel to another boater or for someones oil furnace or boiler. Simply remove your fuel line and pinch it with needle nose vice grips and plug your new "pump" set up into the fuel tank and turn it on to fill the jerry can..

Over the years I have removed more fuel tanks than I care to count and this is how I've emptied them...
-Maine Sail

Canadian Sailcraft 36T
Casco Bay, ME
http://www.marinehowto.com
Figment

Post by Figment »

Am I the only hardcore cheapskate left with the patience to just siphon the tank empty?
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

When I emptied my fuel tank I just siphoned it out.

Into my pickup truck actually. As it turns out the fuel was many years old and two weeks later I had to replace all my fuel injectors.

Cost for the hose was less than $1

Cost for the new fuel injectors was somewhat more.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
Ancient Race
Almost a Finish Carpenter

Post by Ancient Race »

Figment wrote:Am I the only hardcore cheapskate left with the patience to just siphon the tank empty?
Possibly some of us ingested more than enough gas during our misspent yout's . . .
Tartan 27 #77
Seafarer Meridian 26
Jet 14 #952
Figment

Post by Figment »

Well, I guess you REALLY know why it's better to use clear tubing then, don't you?

:)
Ganges #363

Clean Bilge

Post by Ganges #363 »

This is a great product. I've used it to siphon fuel into the tank, haven't tried it going the other way but it should work just as well. Super easy, no mess.

http://www.simplesiphon.com/products/
Zach
Boat Obsession Medal Finalist

Post by Zach »

... I don't know about hardcore cheapskates... my rig cost me nothing... everything is salvaged from various projects. (Grin)

I just hate hacking up gas fumes for an afternoon...
bcooke
Master of the Arcane
Boat Name: Jenny
Boat Type: 1966 Pearson Triton

Post by bcooke »

If you swallow a good mouthful you will be burping up gas fumes for a lot longer than an afternoon.

Trust me on this one.
-Britton
Work is overrated.

Most everything you read on the Internet is wrong.

The Website
The Blog
CharlieJ
Wood Whisperer

Post by CharlieJ »

with our new gasoline mixtures, and the additives they now use to replace lead, I'd not even dream of mouth starting a siphon any more. There's some bad stuff in there now.

And I have 100 gallons in a 24 foot Searay, sitting there going bad in the storage barn.
Tim Mertinooke
Skilled Systems Installer

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

bcooke wrote:If you swallow a good mouthful you will be burping up gas fumes for a lot longer than an afternoon.

Trust me on this one.
You would have been real popular at a party if you had a lighter...
Fuji 32 Ketch "Excalibur"